+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Solar Reel with SS steel bearings low cost?

Aranon is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst Aranon 0

Smile Solar Reel with SS steel bearings low cost?

I am looking for a Solar Reel to mount to my fence or deck permanently to roll up my solar bubble cover. It's 18' x 40' and heavy. I have seen several but can't tell what they are made of.

Any one have suggestions on which one to buy and where.

Have seen these at
    http://www.solarcovers.com/Product_P...In_Ground.html

and this one at
    http://www.poolproducts.com/-i-SCR-H...tm#GEN5=NEXTAG

and have seen Rocky's but they are way out of my price range. Looking for something below or close to $200 or less if possible that will last and I could replace the bearings if ever necessary. Hopefully with SS bearing I would never be bothered with that. I have just seen post where people have the cheap plastic ones and you cant lubricate the bearings and read one where they replaced the plastic bearing but still was hard to roll up. I would rather get a heavy duty one I could bolt to my fence which is about 4 feet from one end of my oval and one person could roll it up easily and it would be out of the way. and maybe clip a strap or rope to it and one person pull it back out to put it own at night.

Please list your suggestions. I know some of you know exactly what I need. Please advise. Thanks in advance. You all are the best and on the best forum.

Speaking of that, when I first started looking at forums I went to a pool and spa forum and was asking about pools on line, and they asked why on earth would anyone buy a pool on line, sight unseen. And like 3 or 4 people replied that they thought I was crazy buying a pool from an on line company and thought I was crazy to try and put up my own pool. I don't go there anymore, only here where there seems to be some of the smartest pool owners in the US and Canada. (Just wanted yall to know that)

Aranon
    I love my pool.

Default Re: Solar Reel with SS steel bearings low cost?

Does anyone use reels to roll up their solar blanket? Know any good ones? They don't say much in the advertisments.

I bought my pool online as well. I made sure I researched the brand of pool and it had a good warranty. I also made sure I got quality in the pump and filter. I also installed the pool myself with some help from a guy that has done several pool installs. I have save a ton of money by doing these things.

I don't have much feedback on the solar reel. I did purchase one but haven't installed it yet. I did my research on these last year and decided to go with the Odyssey M800. I have a 24' round pool and I too quickly learned what a PIA it it to take the cover off. I plan to sink 4x4s in the ground on one end of my pool and permanently mount the reel there. I don't want to mess with swinging the reel off or want to mount the reel to the top rail.

Frank

Anyone know of some good reels?

Hi, I have seen a bunch but never paid much attention to them. I have never owned one so really have clue what's good or bad.

Hope you get some more response here.

Dennis
    AG pool installer
    Arizona

As heavy as the covers are and knowing first hand how hard they are to get on and off, I would think almost everyone had one. What a struggle to get off and on. I loose almost all my heat at night with out it and have to start over with the solar heaters. ( They are not on the roof yet for full sun)

Surely someone knows about the different kinds and which one to get. I have seen some really cheap ones.

Aranon

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

I'm on my second. The first was a plastic Horizon with plastic roller bearings. By the 2nd season it was difficult to use. By the 3rd season it was SO hard to turn that one handle broke off.

This year I replaced it with an all-metal one--but it turned out to be another Horizon. Still, so far, it's been really easy to use--better than the other one EVER was, but with the cover rolled up it bends in the middle--I have a 40' long 16mil cover--very heavy. I believe it was just over $200.
    Carl

Do you have the model number? Does it have Stainless steel bearings. Do you have pictures. Sorry for all the questions but I need to order one now and I don't want to go through what you did. I just want a good one. Can't believe hardly any one is replying to this post. I would have thought every one had one. Thanks. Awaiting your reply.
    Aranon

Does anyone have any pictures of a heavy duty reel, or model number and brand?

bbb is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst bbb 0

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD
    I'm on my second. The first was a plastic Horizon with plastic roller bearings. By the 2nd season it was difficult to use. By the 3rd season it was SO hard to turn that one handle broke off.

This year I replaced it with an all-metal one--but it turned out to be another Horizon. Still, so far, it's been really easy to use--better than the other one EVER was, but with the cover rolled up it bends in the middle--I have a 40' long 16mil cover--very heavy. I believe it was just over $200.
    Yeah, I bought that one this year too - I believe it is the Horizon HV-2000. It is a bear to install, but my experience so far has been good - just like CarlD's. Mine bends in the middle when fully rolled up too. The big feature of that model for my purposes is that it is one of the only models that fit OVER my diving board It is all metal and appears to be high quality, and the steel bearings are high quality. I need to use it for more time before giving it a full recommendation, though.
    bbb = bleach, borax, & baking soda

+ Reply to Thread