+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Brown Stains froming as I am filling pool

markphin is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst markphin 1 star

Default Brown Stains froming as I am filling pool

Hi All,
    I just had my pool recoped and tiled. The contractor also acid washed the plaster upon completions. Looks like a neew pool. I am having water trucked in to fill tomorrow, but I started to fill myself to get things started. I filled the spa last night from my hose(city water? this am i went out to check and saw brown stains forming. I assume this is metals. Is there a way to get these ut or should I drain the spa and acid wash and start over again. Also, should I add some metal free agent while filling in order to keep this from happenig n= throughout the entire pool.

Thanks in Advance for any advice.

Default Re: Brown Stains froming as I am filling pool

I would drain, clean, and wait for the truck. Here's a post from another user with a very similar problem. Trucking in clean water was not an option for them.

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...n-water-source

There's actually a whole section on the forum on how to deal with stains and metals. You'll want to read up because eventually you're going to need to top up your water and I bet you won't have it trucked in every time.

You may want to use ascorbic acid (vitamin c) instead of muriatic to clean the stains off.

There's a fairly new product out called "culator" http://www.amazon.com/CuLator-Metal-.../dp/B003C5PNUW that claims to be able to actually remove metals. I had some small metal stains in the bottom of my pool and bought one. I never did treat with ascorbic to get the metal off the wall and into the water so culator could do its part. I'm not sure I've seen posts from anyone actually confirming this product really does work. I bought it as an experiment and didn't complete the experiment due to laziness. IF it works, it would help control your future problems due to contaminated (with metal) fill water.

Anyway, go read pooldoc's post and some of the stickies in that section of the forum.
    rectangle 11.5K gal IG concrete pool;; 125sf cartridge filter; 2hp 1 speed pump; K-2006, k-1766; PF:10

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

markphin is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst markphin 1 star

Default Re: Brown Stains froming as I am filling pool

yes, I started reading the threads after I posted this. I agree I think I will draing the spa and acid wash and wait for the truck. As they fill with water, I think its a good idea to use the metal free agent to suspend the metals and then use the Culator in the skimmers.
    Thanks for the advice.

+ Reply to Thread