+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: shock level with solid cover when closing?

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: shock level with solid cover when closing?

Actually, safety covers come in both mesh and solid. I prefer mesh. I find the amount of detritus accumulation in the spring isn't bad. I usually just run my robot vac 3 or 4 times and it's clear.

Personally, I think, from many years here, that PROPER fall preparation for closing and for the type of cover you are using is more important than the cover choice (or lack of cover). People here have success with no cover, a standard water-bag cover (IG), a standard AG cover, solid safety and mesh safety covers. And it all comes back to preparation and through-the-winter maintenance.
    Carl

You're right, proper prep and maint is key.

My point about safety covers was since solid "safety covers", unlike mesh safety covers, accumulate water on top, they're not a "true" safety cover. Now of course if you are diligent about removing accumulate water, the both offer far more safety than a traditional water bag tarp style cover which can be a death trap.

I should note that there are also "solid" safety covers with a mesh panel in the center that helps prevent water from accumulating on top.
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

A safety cover differs in that it can support a great deal of weight, though mine hit its failure point when the ice and snow melted and re-froze to the ice in the pool. The cover itself didn't tear or fail, but it tore down several copings that hold the liner, stretched many clips that hook to the retaining pegs, and even broke a couple. Still, if someone had fallen in, the cover almost certainly would have supported them, and, I'll be able to repair it for next season's closing by replacing clips.
    Carl

I use our mesh safety cover that came with the pool to support a tarp style cover on top of it. It does make spring cleanup easier, but the water bags and tarp are a pain.

Eventually I'll bite the bullet and buy a solid safety cover ($$$$) and do away with the tarp and water bags.
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

+ Reply to Thread