+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: shock level with solid cover when closing?

Default shock level with solid cover when closing?

I read the sticky notes for closing, But I am ready to start closing with a solid cover and first time using a 4x15 air pillow." that should be interesting getting those 2 items in without throwing a fit and tossing the pillow in the trash before its all done.Since its a solid cover,should the shock level be less than what is on the best guess chart, I think that is around 20ppm?Read somewhere about not being able to out gas when covered.
    And speaking of the cover and pool pillow,when I tie off the pillow at both ends to the pool uprights and leave enough slack in the cords so cover can still rest on top of the lowered pool water,would it just end up moving around under cover even after I put some water on top of cover?
    I just bought a new cover, 20x36, which gives me 2 feet extra all around, but with the pool water lowered 6 inches below return, as in the past, that extra slack,which should have cover draped down side of pool wall and across water I doubt will be there especially with a pillow in the middle now and end up angled from the pool walls and over the pillow.
    Am I over killing this or doing something that's going to put too much pressure on the walls?
    Last winter, which seemed only weeks ago I found myself removing snow almost every 3 days.
    16' x 32' Above Ground Doughboy
    half surround deck
    Aquaview sand filter
    1 1/2 hp pump
    Gulf stream heat pump

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Default Re: shock level with solid cover when closing?

The cover should be slack and on top of the water. Let some air out of the pillow.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

Thanks, So I assume what I will do is ok, I haven't done all this yet, will do in a few days.
    As far as shock, with a solid cover,should I elevate the FC to normal shock level or reduced?thanks
    half surround deck
    Aquaview sand filter
    1 1/2 hp pump
    Gulf stream heat pump

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

I bring to shock level as per the Best Guess Chart when I close.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    I bring to shock level as per the Best Guess Chart when I close.
    I think one of the OP's concerns is whether or not covering the pool with a solid cover after shocking will cause issues with the pool out gassing.

After shocking, do you wait a bit before covering so byproducts have a chance to properly out gas? Or do you cover right away after shocking?
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

That is correct,I do think I will shock to the 20ppm, then wait a few days for it to drop back to the 5.0ppm for my stabilizer level which is at 40ppm.
    Sound right?
    half surround deck
    Aquaview sand filter
    1 1/2 hp pump
    Gulf stream heat pump

Just an aside.... Are you also worried about high CL affecting your cover? Also, do you have a pump on your cover over the winter?
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

I take all my equipment to the garage,except heater which I cover.
    More worried about the high chlorine level on the vinyl liner than the cover.
    I think I am going to go to the shock level 20,and wait couple days,check FC and when it gets down to 5 ppm I will cover.My CYA is currently at 40ppm.
    half surround deck
    Aquaview sand filter
    1 1/2 hp pump
    Gulf stream heat pump

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

The Best Guess table says your shock level, with a CYA of 40, is 15ppm, not 20.

I would suggest, if you are uncomfortable closing the cover with the FC at 15, that you wait until the water temp is around 60deg or lower, and then let the FC drop before you cover. Algae doesn't grow much in cold water.

Beyond that, I always use a mesh cover. Not this year, as I'm rebuilding the pool and there's no water in it. Also no liner and no walls!
    Carl

Thanks for the info.
    As far as a mesh cover, we don't have any trees, there is one large pine tree about 30ft away.
    Last year we received 58 inches of snow, average normally is 36"
    And I did get really tired of using a roof rake to remove snow off the pool almost every week.
    I tried to keep all the snow off cover, but after awhile,it is really tiresome.
    Never thought about a mesh cover,what is the advantage of that and in your opinion, would that work for the environment I am in?
    Not certain on what winters are like in NJ.
    Thanks
    half surround deck
    Aquaview sand filter
    1 1/2 hp pump
    Gulf stream heat pump

+ Reply to Thread