+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Water turned green after adding shock treatment

Default Water turned green after adding shock treatment

My pool water was crystal clear the other day prior to adding shock treatment. I tested the water and the chlorine level was non existant, PH was on the acid side. We had several days of rain. I added shock treatment (liquid shock) to the pool, soda ash to the pool and stable chlorine tablets. As soon as I added the shock treatment i noticed areas of the pool began turning green. In less than 30 minutes, the entire pool was green. It's been a couple of days now, I've since added more stable chlorine tabs to the skimmer basket. Testing this morning shows the PH @ 7.0, the chlorine is 3+. I've been running the filter for 4+ hours per day.

I've had a pool for 17 years and haven't seen this happen before. Why did my water turn green and how do I alleviate this problem?

Thanks!

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Default Re: Water turned green after adding shock treatment

test your water for copper....I will bet that is the culprit. Have you added any copper based algecides or are you using "dual action" trichlor tabs with copper?
    A metal sequsterant will take care of the problem if your water tests positive for copper. Just follow the directions on the bottle. Jack's Magic Blue Stuff is excellent for copper, btw.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Thanks for replying. I did add algecide when I initially opened the pool. I'll take a sample in to my pool store and have it tested for copper.

Thanks Again!

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

If it tests postive for copper you will need a metal sequesterant.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

+ Reply to Thread