Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Crazy Pool Readings! URGENT HELP REQUIRED ! PLEASE HELP!!!

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Crazy Pool Readings! URGENT HELP REQUIRED ! PLEASE HELP!!!

Hi Stan,

With your new readings, your target FC level is 20, based on your CYA. In my first post I gave you the amounts of chlorine to add to achieve certain levels. That's based STRICTLY on the volume of water--79k liters. So it doesn't change unless the volume changes, regardless.

Look at the Best Guess Table:
    http://poolsolutions.com/gd/best-gue...ine-chart.html

While we measure everything in gallons, if you transpose to liters the ratios remain the same: 1 liter of 14% Liquid chlorine/bleach will add 14ppm of FC to 10,000 liters. 1 liter of 6% will add 6ppm to 10,000 liters. Since you have nearly 80,000 liters, you need nearly 8x as much liquid chlorine/bleach to get the same effect.

Once you get your FC to 20, you'll need to keep it there, checking and adjusting chlorine 3x/day to keep it at 20ppm. Meanwhile you need to vacuum and brush your pool daily, and expect it to take several days to a week to clear up. When the FC does NOT drop overnight by more than a little, for 2 nights running, and the water stays clear, you'll know you're done.
    Carl

Anonymous [GDPR] European in the UK Guest

Hi Carl

Hope you are well.

Since my last reading, I have done the following

1) I have added 20 litres of 14% sodium hypochlorite over a period of 2 - 3 days e.g. 10 litres first night, 5 the second and 5 the third. (I figure that this should have kept my FC levels well over the 20 mark for a couple of days).

2) There was no real change in the colour of the water after this period, it still looked green.
    So i then went to the supermarket and bought some bleach and I added 26 litres of 1.5% bleach.

Soon after this, the water started to become lighter in colour... and I left the water alone for a couple of days.

Today, the water looked pretty good (not clear though) so we took a swim, and then I re-took some readings.
    28th Sept. I also backwashed this morning.

FC = 13.2
    PH = 7.6
    CYA = 76
    TA = 230

Below is a link to a photo of the pool. As you can see the green Algae seems to have gone, but the water is still not quite right. Certainly not clear. Any suggestions??

http://s46.photobucket.com/user/stan...f2c1a.jpg.html

Do I shock again? I have 2 X 5litres of 14-15% bleach ready to go.... thought I would check with yourself.

We are having some awesome weather for late September in London. Normally it is time to get the big coats out, but we have had blue skies recently.

Many thanks

S

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Stan, It is hard to tell, but your water looks cloudy, but I think your algae bloom is dead.
    So what I think is going in is one of two things, maybe both.
    (you never did give us a hardness/calcium hardness reading, did you?)
    1) Dead algae which means you need to run your filter 24/7 and clean it out when the pressure rises. I don't know if they sell "skimmer socks" in the UK, but if not you can line your skimmer with a piece of ladies' pantyhose. It can help pulling particles out. If you have a sand filter you can add a little DE powder, just enough to raise pump pressure 1 psi. All this is to filter dead algae.
    2) You could also have calcium clouding, depending on your calcium hardness reading, given your total alkalinity is so high. Try lowering your pH to 7.2 ( no lower as it may be overstated by your chlorine level) and see jf that helps. Follow our method for lowering T/A to get it down to around 100 and see if the water clears. A very high T/A, over 200, and a high CH, 400-500 ppm can cause milky cloudy water. It isn't dangerous but it is ugly.

Again, either could cause cloudiness.
    Carl