+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A friendly reminder / warning

Exclamation A friendly reminder / warning

(Wasnt sure what section to post this in) Just a friendly reminder / warning to all to know your chemicals. A friend of mine takes care of his pool himself (not BBB) and he had to go out of town so his wife decided she had seen him add chemicals to the pool so she would do it while he was gone. Well she took a bucket and poured acid into it THEN added chlorine in the bucket. Well we all know the reaction of these two chemicals together. She could not breath and they had to call 911 to take her to the emergency room. Her throat, tonsils and nostrils were burnt.She is alright now but she got VERY lucky. I just wanted to tell this story to maybe help someone else from NOT doing the same. So be sure and know your chemicals before you use them.
    Boyd
    27' Round AG, 17,204 gallons, sand filter
    &
    Proud Father of an Army Soldier

mbar is offline --trial user-- Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

Default Re: A friendly reminder / warning

Wow, that's scary, we should all put a sign near the pool to never mix any chemicals - just as a reminder to everyone.
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

tundraSQ is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst tundraSQ 0

I store my muriatic acid at the local hardware store until I am ready to use it. Much safer that way.

That's scary. I had to go away for two weeks. I shocked the pool right before leaving and got the pH down (my pool is new and the pH rises quickly).

I didn't have her add any chlorine, but I filled two small plastic containers with acid and had my wife pour those in over the deep end return on certain days. I warned her over and over (until she told me she wasn't an idiot) to watch the wind, don't breath, don't splash, it's *very* dangerous. She did it fine, but I only had her do it because I was gone for 2 weeks and I need to add at least a gallon a week.

Robert
    ~~
    22K gallon, IG, gunite, Sunstone Pearl White Pearl plaster, Aqualogic SWCG, Hayward Tristar pool pump, Pentair Whisperflo waterfall pump, Pentair Clean & Clear 320 cartridge filter, Sta-Rite heater.

Thanks, I have noticed the acid smoke when I take off the lid, and I have been smart enough to not breath in the fumes, not that I knew what they would do I just didn't breath them in. And as for mixing the chemicals, I wondered what would have happened from mixing them, there is my answer.

And here's another example of this by a "pool maintenance" worker in Houston. Be Careful.

Mon Jun 26, 6:12 PM ET
    A pool maintenance worker was burned Monday after a small chemical explosion in Clear Lake, KPRC Local 2 reported.

The man was working in the back yard of a home on Silverpines at Redway shortly before 11 a.m. when he mixed chlorine with another unknown chemical.
    The mixture caused a small explosion and a cloud of chlorine gas burned the worker.
    He suffered facial and eye injuries.
    The man was taken to the hospital for treatment. The injuries were described as non life-threatening.
    ~~
    22K gallon, IG, gunite, Sunstone Pearl White Pearl plaster, Aqualogic SWCG, Hayward Tristar pool pump, Pentair Whisperflo waterfall pump, Pentair Clean & Clear 320 cartridge filter, Sta-Rite heater.

+ Reply to Thread