Thread: "New" Pool Owner

Default "New" Pool Owner

We purchased a home 3 years ago with what the previous owner said was a 35,000 gallon pool. It is gunnite with a salt generator, sand filter and a waterfall. First 2 years were fine, this year she needs some work.

First, the pump motor is dying (bad bearings) - will need a new one come spring. Should I consider a variable speed motor, and if so, what are the benefits in doing so? If I do go with a variable speed motor, will I need to replace the entire pump?

Also, my impeller tends to freeze up every winter. I'm able to get it moving again each year but keep wondering each spring if it will break loose. Would this be reason to consider a completely new pump?

The current pump could easily be original, probably around 25 years old. It is a Sta-Rite 1 HP.

Next, the filter. The guy at the pool store tells me they "don't need much maintenance". But at some point, don't they need something? I've got some crud at the top of the sand, it looks like wet paper, that doesn't come out when I backwash. The top leaks - I'm hoping this fix is as simple as a new O-ring but I' probably can't be that lucky. What do I need to do to get this where it should be?

And then we have the tiles and surface. It has a pebbletech type surface, but all the pebbles are coming out and the surface is very rough. I'm considering marcite this time around, as that is the look I prefer. I will also need all new tile. Best place to get pool tile online? Not too pleased with my choices or prices from the local pool tile place here.

Thanks for your input. Neither one of us was ready to be a pool owner. We would fill it in if the kids didn't love it so much.

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Default Re: "New" Pool Owner

Sounds like you've thought through the pump motor issue. 25 years is a long time for machinery. Consider a 1HP 2-speed pump, low speed will save alot of electricity and they're simpler electro-mechanical devices than the variable speed pumps that can be damaged by power quality issues.

I once used a DE replacement that's made of cellulose fiber as a filter aid - alot of that stuff is still in there years later. It looks like a newspaper delivered in a snowstorm and run-over by the car. I dig out what I can in the fall and spring. It doesn't seem to hurt the filtration. What kind of sand filter is it? Is the O-ring damaged?

Read all you can about pool care on poolsolutions.com and here especially the stickied threads in the testing and chlorinating forums. The method of pool care taught here will keep your soon-to-be new pool beautiful until your kids are grown with the least amount of fuss and frustration possible. As a trial user, you'll have to log out to see the rest of this site.

Welcome and congratulations
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16