+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Got the pool up, beaded liner installed, wrinkles out of the floor, filling and...

DennisP is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst DennisP 0

Default Re: Got the pool up, beaded liner installed, wrinkles out of the floor, filling and..

Well I contacted the vendor I purchased the pool liner from and sent them the pics they needed. It is obvious that there is about 3 inches extra material on the one side and there is 2 extra inches on the other side. It continues in an arc around both sides and tapers off to where it is basically perfect.

I am waiting to hear back from them, so hopefully they can do something here. Their website states all liners are made in North America from virgin vinyl, yet the box I received said it was made in China and had a Chinese QC sticker on the front and back sides of the liner itself.

I am hoping something can be worked out, but it is obvious that the liner is defectively manufactured.

For the meantime I was going to be damned if my kids aren't going to have at least a few dips in the pool this year, so I ended up pulling the liner down mid-way to tighten up the top section, got the returns and skimmer cut in, finished off the piping and fired up the pump and heater...

I need to refresh on the chemical startup stuff for a full size pool and will probably get a few socks with CYA hung tonight as well as some chlorine added. I will pickup a HTH 6-way test kit tomorrow on the quick and order a proper test kit for next spring. We have darn near perfect water out of the tap here, so I have very little adjustments to make outside of adding chlorine and CYA.

I still need to get the upper rails and upper covers and lower cuffs mounted, but the kids should be able to swim tomorrow for a bit. Since their entire summer was "stolen" by delays in the pool and patio project, it is the least I can do to bust my hump getting things "usable" for them. The kids understand, but the guilt was just killing me. They all try really hard at everything (a few of them have autistic spectrum disorders) and I just want them to have some sort of "highlight" as a bright point for this summer.

Default Re: Got the pool up, beaded liner installed, wrinkles out of the floor, filling and..

Well, for tonight, I added a gallon of 12.5% liquid chlorine and hung a sock with 24oz of cyanuric acid from the ladder... I figure that should be good until the morning when I will get a test kit and check it out...

I will say, there is quite a nice rotating current with two returns in the pool... Outside of the liner issue, it is really nice to see it up and running... Lots and lots of work involved in doing it this way with all the hardline plumbing...

But, the killer part is I found out that I was perfectly level all around the site. When the water came up to the skimmer it touched the lower edge of the faceplate all across it at exactly the same time. Same with the bottom edge of both returns.

Well, a followup after a week or so...

The family has used the pool 3 or 4 times... I started using the solar cover, BIG difference in keeping heat in...

I also have found that chlorine usage isn't great at all... I have a 35ppm or so CYA level and I usually end up adding maybe a half gallon of 12.5% liquid chlorine every 2-3 days... And that is with the pool temp at 83-87 degrees or so...

Also I ended up burying the second return line and adding unions to the line since it made adding the pavers around the pool easier... Look much better like that anyways...

I have not heard back from the liner people (surprise), so I will give them a call tomorrow...

Overall, outside of the liner issue, I am pretty happy with how it turned out... The foam bottom is perfect (everyone raves about it) and the foam walls are a nice touch as well. The Morada 6 RTR pool is very nice looking fully assembled and the upper resin rails have a great design that keeps water from being splashed out of the pool from the inside. With my paver ring design it is perfect as there is no way the kids are going to get water on the exposed 8" area just beyond the pool. All water splashed out will hit the pavers or beyond, so I have no concerns with too much water getting into the substrate under the pool. Actually, when I fill that space with pink/black rocks (like the rest of the landscaping has) I might just go with a finer stone mounded higher before the bigger stone to even further increase the "watershed" from that gap.

Hmm, I might even be able to figure out some sort of angled "splash guard" that would divert all the water to the pavers, and just put a smaller layer of larger stone on top of there... That way there would be minimal water infiltration.

+ Reply to Thread