+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How Much Can a Liner Fade?

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: How Much Can a Liner Fade?

I've noticed that NOW the bottom is getting brittle, but, like you, I'm leaving it in place as a tarp over the sand.
    On the chemical side, I'd never use a Nature2 because, while it helps control algae, it adds metals. While it's expensive, an SWCG will allow you to do the same thing.
    Are you careful to watch your CYA levels with the Tri-Chlor? Remember for every 10ppm of chlorine it adds 6ppm of CYA.

My sand filter is fine and the plastic tank shows no sign of brittleness or UV breakdown. It's always been covered over the winter, and, for the last several years, been under the deck addition (where the deck chairs are). I'm still using my original sand, no problems.
    Carl

I tend to think that most pool liners are on borrowed time after 10 years of use.

I have not checked CYA levels this year. Filled pool last fall, and I did not add any stabilizer. The only CYA source has been from the chlorine tablets.

I lose about a foot or so of water over the winter, so I will check CYA levels next spring.

I like the low chlorine levels that you can use with Nature 2, so the lower chlorine use balances out the cost of the Nature-2 cartridge.

For the filter the pipe that connects the valve to the laterals broke in the spring, so I had to buy the entire lateral assembly. Fairly cheap on line. While I was at it, I changed the sand. I had to remove all of the sand from the filter anyhow, so it was a good time to change the sand.

One less item to worry about!
    FantaSea AG pool, 16' x 32' x 4' flat bottom, Hayward T210 sand filter

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Of course, if you have to replace the laterals, then changing the sand is probably necessary.

How much does the N2 cartridge cost you each year? Is it $100 or more? I buy 25 gallons of 12.5% for $95, which is more than enough for a season. I would need to use twice as much and the N2 would have to cut that in half to break even.

That's my argument.
    Carl

I must be lazy.

Nature-2 costs about $72 for the year.

The chlorine dispenser has to be filled about once per month, so I have little ongoing maintenance to do as far as chemicals are concerned.

PH plus every now and then, and modest shock once a month just in case.

http://www.amazon.com/Nature2-Minera...rds=nature+-+2

Carl, on your other thread you said that you have salt in your pool water.

What do you do exactly to maintain the water quality in your pool?

JPC,
    It's how the BBB system works: You spend a little time every day or two checking your water and catching changes before they become problems. 2-5 minutes a day should be all it takes, then a full suite of tests once a week, and (hopefully) vacuuming and brushing no more than once a week.

Because we are away a lot, I put in an SWCG system and that requires a salt level of 3000ppm. But that was only the last 2 seasons. The 13 before that (3 with an Intex) were mostly as above. I've rarely had a problem.

If you haven't spent time on learning how our BBB system works, wend your way over to Poolsolutions.com and have fun reading (it's our sister site). Much has changed, but the basics haven't. While BBB is short for "Bleach, Borax and Baking Soda" I haven't bothered adding baking soda in a couple of years, and usually use Borax and/or Muriatic Acid just a few times a season.

My sig here used to say "Stay ahead of your water!" Because that's the key. If you know what's going on in you pool before you have a problem, you won't have a problem!
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread