Closed Thread

Thread: alternatives to chlorine/non-chlorine pool maint

Default alternatives to chlorine/non-chlorine pool maint

hello to all, looking at uv and copper/silver ion systems coppper/titainium oxidation systems. we all know that chlorine isn't good for us, so i'm looking at other systems. any thoughts?

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Exclamation

Chlorine is probably the safest and most effective sanitizer there is with bromine being good for certain situations like spas and indoor pools. UV only sterilizes the water in the reaction tube...there is no residual. I have used uv in fishtanks for many years so I am familiar with it. Ditto for ozone, which is very poisonous! Metals (call them ions or oxidation systmes if you like) ARE chemicals and have their own danger. They still require a residual stanitizer, usuallly chlorine but at a lower dosage than if used alone. You might want to read Ben's FAQ on metals in the forum and the info he has on the sister website hppt://www.poolsolutions.com. I think it will change your mind about using chlorine vs. alternative sanitation!
    Last edited by waterbear; 04-01-2006 at 05:14 PM.

duraleigh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by leewest
    hello to all, looking at uv and copper/silver ion systems coppper/titainium oxidation systems. we all know that chlorine isn't good for us, so i'm looking at other systems. any thoughts?
    Hi, Lee,

Chlorine not good for us???? Well, imho, the alternatives are worse....much worse. Copper? Silver?...No thanks. UV? Yeah but then how do you kill the bugs in your pool since there is no residual.

Too much Cl will certainly kill you....So will too much mashed potatoes if you really consume "too much"!!!

Correctly used, there are many things in our daily lives that are quite beneficial as long as we don't decide to get stupid and make them lethal.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Thread has been moved by moderator

I have moved this thread to the Stains & Metal Matters: Iron, Copper, Silver & More forum. Please add any further replies there.

Thank you.
    Watermom

Closed Thread