+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Chlorine tabs w/o CYA

Default Re: Chlorine tabs w/o CYA

Sure would be a market! Do you have access to fresh 12.5% at least? Even though I use very little chlorine, I use the higher concentration so I have to lug less and recycle less.

We live very close to where Champion/LC 12 is packaged and distributed so ours is usually above 12.5%. You would think they would do refillables, but don't. That would help with the recycling issue for sure!
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

I use refillables--5 gallon carboys. I think Buckman makes and fills them, the same company that makes Polyquat 60%. I have a bunch of older gallon jugs that were filled with 12.5% originally, and I keep them to fill from the carboys.
    Carl

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

I use the 5-gallon refillables of bleach (Liquid Chlorine, sodium hypochlorite) as well - I'm pretty sure I get them at the same place as CarlD. I kept the last 5 jugs I bought and refill them for ease of handling. If you do find a cheap source for LC, be sure to pick up a spout and wrench when you but the first one.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

The spout is great. My FAVORITE wrench is the ChanneLock filter wrench. Works on the spout, and also on the quick connects and most fittings. I have a pair of them and abuse the heck out of them as they are the all-purpose pool wrenches!

Last edited by PoolDoc; 10-17-2014 at 03:59 PM. Reason: linked picture to Amazon
    Carl

I'll have to look around for a bulk bleach supplier. I'm using a gallon (8.25%) every 2 to 3 days in the summer just to maintain 3-5ppm. (CYA is at 50) Shocking the pool with bleach is going to really be a pain.
    Before we re-plastered, I used the fine granual dry shock. That worked OK, but I'm trying to get away from that.

I discovered re-purposing my oil filter pliers a couple of weeks ago when I couldn't find my strap wrench and needed to tighten the quick disconnect on my filter pump inlet. They really do work great!
    IG concrete 30k gal FNS60 DE filter 2hp single speed Haywood pump

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

You may want to consider bumping your CYA up some. Sometimes, people who live places that are very hot and sunny find that having a little higher CYA allows them to dose with bleach less often. One of our former mods lives in NW Louisiana and deliberately keeps her CYA around 80ppm. Just something to think about. If you do decide to raise it some, go to 60 for a couple of weeks and see how that works on your pool and then go a little higher if you want. Gradual increases rather than big changes. Easy to add more CYA, hard to lower it.

By the way, if you are diligent about keeping your chlorine between the minimum and maximum levels based on your CYA, you should seldom need to shock. Pool stores and pool chemical companies tell you to shock weekly but it isn't necessary. They just want to sell more chemicals.

Temps here are starting to drop, so hopefully the chlorine demand will start dropping too.

Re-checked my CYA yesterday. That test indicated I'm closer to 40 instead of 50, so I do need to bump it up a bit. Just finished dissolving the last bit of solid CYA I had via the sock method. I have some pucks left over so I might as well use them to help bring the CYA up a bit more. Also picked-up a floating dispenser and will throw a couple of pucks in there also.
    I gotta be careful about over-shooting the CYA since replacing a large amount of water is very expensive due to the house being on a low-producing well (gotta truck in water).

Pool looks great and CC levels are close to zero so I don't see a need to shock yet.
    Thx for all the replies!! You guys are awesome :-)

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by Watermom View Post
    If you use the trichlor pucks, keep an eye on your pH. They are extremely acidic and will push your pH down.
    No problem with the pucks. I have to add a gallon of acid every 2-3 days anyway. My fill water is very hard.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

+ Reply to Thread