+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Using 1-25 Micron Bags in Skimmer

Default Re: Using 1-25 Micron Bags in Skimmer

Quote Originally Posted by ransomedbyfire View Post
    I am disabled and poor. If I cannot find a way to manage filtration issues myself, there is no point in wasting my meager income on bleach. This is why I asked this specific question. Why start or continue a task there is no way for you to finish?

Thankfully, I have Googled the issue and found some useful info on using filter bags to aid or replace a cartridge filter at WWW.TroubleFreePool.com.
    Let me see if I can help you. I was in the exact same position as you just 2 days ago, I was so frustrated that I was about to give up and fill the pool with dirt. My pool was so bad that I had tadpoles swimming around in it. Today I could see the bottom of my pool and the water was crystal clear.

I too was frustrated with my cartridge filter my water was so bad that it would clog with in 30 minutes of cleaning it and I am healthy and could have done that for days but seemed like I wasn't getting anywhere.

Take the cartridge out it won't hurt anything and you wont have to clean it every 30 minutes. You will put it back in once the algae is gone. Right now you just want to kill the algae, we can worry about getting it out of the pool once it is dead.

The reason they keep asking for your test result is so we can tell you how much bleach you need to kill the algae. Or you can use Ben's approach but you maybe using way more bleach then you need and that would be a waste of your money.

I am willing to walk you thru how I got mine from tadpole heaven to safe to swim in 4 days if you like but you will have to answer questions along the way.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Quote Originally Posted by ransomedbyfire View Post
    I am disabled and poor.
    Unfortunately, neither are problems we can fix.

It sounds like you are up against an issue we cannot solve: we can NOT make pool care cheap enough for everyone. We help people take care of there pools MORE easily and MORE cheaply than they would otherwise. But pools aren't cheap, and pool care isn't always easy, even when you do everything correctly.

I'm sorry you find yourself in that situation. But if you can't afford 10 - 15 gallons of bleach . . . you probably need to be looking for information on closing your pool up permanently, rather than on how to clean it up.

Good luck!

For anyone with the same question I had, I went ahead and bought a 5-micron filter bag and fastened it to the pump's water output yesterday afternoon with the pump cartridge removed. By the time I got up today, the water was clearer than it's ever been since we inherited the pool. I could even see the sand on the bottom, which I will be going after soon with the same filter bag and our cheap Intex "pool vacuum". Granted, the water wasn't completely green when I started, but this $6 (plus $7 shipping) bag has done more than a cartridge ever would have, and with virtually no maintenance.

Now, it feels like there is actually a point in maintaining the pool since I have found a way that is almost easy enough to do with your eyes closed and is easy enough for me to do all by myself.

Pooldoc, I did not say I can't afford bleach. What I said was that I cannot afford bleach to put in a pool I can't filter, just like most people can't afford to pour several gallons of bleach down their toilet. If, however, I can get the pool officially running, my husband can use it for water therapy that would cost over $200 a month otherwise to help keep his pain levels down.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

I'm sure everyone here is happy that's working out for you. I've heard of such products like the "Slime Bag" that filter at the return.

But you still must concentrate on ensuring your water is sanitary, and I've seen no indication that you realize that, even though the water is clear. You haven't posted any test results, nor indicated your plans for chlorinating your pool. Without it, your husband might as well be taking his water therapy in, to continue your analogy, a toilet.

The microbes and bacteria are still there and you must kill them for his safety. I understand the need for constant P/T. I've had both hips replaced and regular exercise is critical to controlling and even eliminating ongoing pain. And, if you can do it on your own without expensive therapists, that's even better.

But what we always tell people: It's YOUR pool, not ours and the final responsibility for it is ultimately yours. We can only suggest courses of action that have worked for others here and elsewhere.

Good luck.
    Carl

Carl, please don't mistake my lack of questions about chemistry for apathy about it. Honestly, I'm a nerd. I love cooking and math and researching the chemistry of OTC and prescription meds. When I learned how drop kits work, it excited me. (And it sounds like they'd be easier for me to use than the strips anyway.) Things are coming together. I am almost out of stabilizer and will be looking into pure dichlor on amazon soon, maybe even today. Perhaps, I'll look into a better test kit while I'm there.

P.s. Hip replacements are tough. My husband had both replaced, 6 months apart, right after we got married in 2007. Bless you!

You will not regret one penny spent on the Taylor K2006. Promise.
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

+ Reply to Thread