Thread: pool closing

Default pool closing

wanna close above ground pool cheapest way possible....hate to spend 90 bucks on pool closing kit

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: pool closing

Hi. Welcome.
    We have lots of threads on pool closing. I don't know if any of us uses one of those kits.

Here's what I use to close my pool:
    1) chlorine, preferably bleach/liquid chlorine.
    2) Polyquat 60% (1 quart).
    3) Test kit: Taylor K-2006 or equivalent
    4) Plugs for returns and drains
    5) "Gizmo", Aquador, or lots of foam for skimmer.
    6) Silicone lube for O-rings.
    7) snack or sandwich size ziploc bags. Sharpie to mark bags.
    8) Cover (optional)

Other than the chlorine and the polyquat, you'll use everything else every year.

Steps I take after water gets to 60deg F (65 deg, max):
    1) Test pool water. Need to know FC, pH, and CYA levels. T/A and CH are irrelevant. Adjust pH to 7.2-7.8
    2) Add chlorine to proper shock level for CYA level. Keep it there for at least 24 hours.
    3) Add Polyquat (I use 1 quart for my 19/20k pool). Wait 48 hours. Polyquat drives FC down.
    4) Test FC. Add sufficient chlorine to raise FC back to shock level.
    5) Backwash filter (sand or DE) and use backwash to pump water down. I like to be below returns, but if you only have a skimmer, you can use a siphon to lower the water sufficiently.
    6) Remove plumbing. Every quick-connect needs to be opened, the O-ring dried and lubed, and put into a marked zip-lock.
    7) Drain plumbing, store. Store O-rings indoors.
    8) Drain filter completely. DE or cart filter should be stored indoors. Sand filter--leave drain off, remove multivalve (treat O-ring as above) and store indoors. Cover sand filter in contractor plastic bag. I use duct tape around the curves to hold the bag tight, but don't let the tape get on the tank. Drain and disconnect pump. Store indoors, like a warm basement.
    9) plug return(s), drain(s) and skimmer gets Aquador, Gizmo or stuffed with foam rubber. All three are meant to prevent a slug of ice forming and splitting it.
    10) Cover pool. Optional. Some member winterize their pool without a cover, like Watermom.

Total consumable expenses are bleach (chlorine), Polyquat, test reagents, and silicone lube. The rest are non-consumable.
    Carl

Thanks for the advice!!!

Hello again Carl, My name is Judy from CT. My first post was Sept 2nd. As I said before, I have AG 19,000 gallon pool with sand filter. My water is crystal clear and has been all summer. I have been using your methods and love the money savings in using bleach, baking soda, etc. Pool has never looked better.
    I am looking to close now and I am new to using my test kit, Taylor K2006. I tested my water and then took a sample to pool store to have them test as a doublecheck.
    Results are:
    FC=5
    pH=7.5
    CYA=40
    TA=100

I think it is perfect,no? My next question is do I shock and with how much? What shock level do I want to achieve to close???? And then I assume I wait 24 hrs and add 1 quart polyquat. Am I correct?
    The funny thing is...the pool people tested for phosphates and said they test at 300 and that I should buy something called phos free and add it because the phosphates are what algae feeds on. Is that hogwash? I hate to add stuff if unnecessary. I know they r trying to make a buck. Any help will be greatly appreciated. The pool looks so good I just want to close it properly so I do not have a nightmare in the spring. Thanks!

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Since your water is clear, the chlorine is controlling the algae. No need to buy Phos-Free.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Hi Judy.
    Here's what I would do:
    Wait till the water is between 60-65 degrees if possible. Lower if fine, higher...well, risky.
    I would run the pool up to FC=15ppm. Every 121oz jug of 8.25% bleach will add about 4.1ppm of FC, so 2 1/2 jugs will get you to FC=15.
    Once you are there (because it's obvious that your pool is FINE) I'd add 1 quart of Polyquat 60%.
    Wait 48 hours (run your pool as usual) and test FC again.
    Add sufficient bleach to get FC back to 15ppm and close.

BTW, BigDave's advice about NOT using phosphate removers is sound.
    Carl

Thanks so much guys!!!!