+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Green Pool

Default The Green Pool

Our pool was only green when the sun hit is, otherwise it looked black. Came that way with the house so about 5 months with no maintenance.

About 4 days in and the water is cloudy but almost no green left or tadpoles.

CL - 30
    CYA - 100
    TA - 120
    PH - 7.2
    Ch - 100

IG Plaster, 10550 gallons no questions yet thing a progressing as expected although slower than I would like. Using bleach, borax, and baking soda. Taylor 2006 test kit. CC 75 filter.

Just an FYI of were it was when we started.

CL - 0
    CC - 0
    TA - 30
    PH - to low for the test kit
    CH - 100
    Did I mention it was dark dark green, and full of tadpoles.

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Default Re: The Green Pool

Sounds like you've been doing your homework - Awesome!
    You will need to get some more calcium to protect what's left of the plaster. You could try using calcium hypochlorite for chlorine for a while. Every 5lbs of 53% cal-hypo (don't use lower - no copper or multi-action) will add 3ppm FC and about 2ppm CH to your pool. Might be a good idea to push the pH up to about 7.5 as well.

The most important thing right now,as you know, is the chlorine.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Depending on where you are, you may be able to get calcium hypchlorite that's above 60%. If you can, (I THINK Pool Life sells it) use it. As BigDave says, you need to get your calcium level up to at least 200ppm.
    Carl

Oh my I found the bottom of the pool today. Water results:

My results Pool store results:

CL - 10 steady CL - 5
    FC - 10 FC - 5
    CC - 0 CC - 0
    PH - 7.4 PH - 7.4
    TA - 120 TA - 110
    CH - Not sure CH - 225
    CYA - 100 CYA - 100

CH is the only thing I am concerned with they have come up with 200 - 200 - 225 for the last 3 days I am reading lower. I have a taylor 2005 not a 2006 bought the wrong one. Could the high clorine level over the last few days have been skewing my results?

Before: https://flic.kr/p/oJTBA6

After: https://flic.kr/p/p2nJZF
    Last edited by Mustang3944; 09-01-2014 at 08:18 PM.

I am in Florida I have not been able to find it here yet. Except at the pool store of course. They tell me I am good but my readings are low. Decided to focus on getting it clear and stable and see what kind of CH I get.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    You will need to get some more calcium to protect what's left of the plaster.

The most important thing right now,as you know, is the chlorine.
    Now that I can see it the plaster looks to be in good shape and feels smooth were I can get to it, keeping my fingers crossed that is the case through out the pool.

Yes my biggest concerns so far have been chlorine, ph and alk. Added roughly another pound of borax after those test result to bring the ph up just a bit more.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

If your CYA is 100 and your pool is full of algae, you need to increase your FC to at least 25ppm to kill the algae.
    Carl

Algae is dead Carl not a spot of green anywhere.

Good! Then you can go on to filtering/vacuuming the dead algae out, and balancing your chemistry.
    Carl

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

If you have a K2005 kit, you can pick up the add on kit (K1515) that will give you the one test (FAS-DPD) that the K2006 kit has that your kit does not. That test gives you the ability to test chlorine levels higher than 5ppm which is the limit on your kit. You can get the K1515 (or 1515C) through this link:> http://pool9.net/tk/

(Until your registration is completed, you won't be able to see the rest of the forum or follow that link while you are logged in. So, copy it and paste it into a browser window after you first log out.)

+ Reply to Thread