+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What to do with old MA?

Default What to do with old MA?

Last season I seem to have found the sweet spot in my pool chemistry where pH rise is no longer an issue with my SWCG, thanks to great info found on this forum.

It seems by keeping borates about 60 and TA about 80, pH will settle at about 7.6 or so and stay there all season. It has never risen above 7.8; this season hasn't gotten above 7.6.

I have a couple jugs of muriatic acid that hasn't been used all of last season and all of this season (it's stored outside in a covered plastic garbage can).

Is there a way to safely dispose of this old MA?

I thought I saw a post before about disposing of chemicals, but I can't find it.
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: What to do with old MA?

Quote Originally Posted by Watermom View Post
    Here is the thread you are thinking about but it doesn't mention MA. PoolDoc should be able to advise you about this, though. I'll ask him to chime in here.

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...-and-chemicals
    Thanks.

I hope you're enjoying the holiday weekend. Today's a great pool day here in SE VA.
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Thanks but cloudy and drizzly here today. But, yesterday was hot and I did get in the pool for awhile. Haven't looked to see about tomorrow but at any rate, we still have another month of pool weather here unlike a lot of places where Labor Day is pretty much it for swimming.

(I did ask Ben to look in on your question.)

Yep, we have another month here as well before it's time to close.

This summer is flying by too fast!

Btw, how's your water situation there? Did they finally get that mess cleaned up?

Yes and no. Life is back to normal as far as people using water again for the most part. But, I don't think the level of trust will ever quite be the same. MCHM is still in the news around here --- new regulations, litigation issues, etc. They also reported this summer that the stuff is more toxic than they originally thought and told people. Google for MCHM and Charleston, WV and you'll still find a bunch of stuff. I guess it will be years until all the new regulations are put into place and until all litigation is settled. And, most importantly, until we know what the long-term health ramifications might be. It was a nightmare to go through, though, I'll tell you that! I'm thankful I wasn't pregnant or have small children at the time all this was playing out.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Just added a "muriatic acid" section to that page:

Muriatic acid
    (AKA MA, hydrochloric acid.)
    MA is something of a challenge to dispose of -- you can NOT simply pour it out, put it in the garbage, or pour it down the drain. If you can't use it, there are 3 options I can think of: give it away, neutralize it, or dilute it.

Giving it away so someone else can use it, is your best option. Another pool owner may need it, or you could give it to a brick mason or concrete finisher. You can also dilute it, and then dispose of it over time. If you dilute it 5:1 (31% down to 5%), you can safely flush 2 - 4 cups of the 5% acid, each time you flush. Or, you can neutralize it using borax 2:1 -- eg, 2 cups of borax for 1 cup of muriatic. Do NOT try to neutralize it with baking soda or soda ash; it will FOAM furiously, and spread acid everywhere! Once it's neutralized, you can flush it over time (NOT all at once) OR use the resulting boric acid mixture as a mild herbicide or wood preservative. (Adding a bit of detergent, and then spraying it on unpainted wood surfaces inhibits fungal growth and rot, and if it penetrates, inhibits termites.)

Thanks Ben.

I also wonder how much strength it has lost sitting outside in the plastic garbage can for two years?

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

None.

+ Reply to Thread