+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Test results on new pool in Tucson

Default Re: Test results on new pool in Tucson

The signature profile will allow us at a glance to remember your pool data without having to search back in the thread for the info. The bigwig experts really don't have time to do that. Maybe we could have caught the "somehow connected" spa issue earlier! Notice how it should contain volume, equipment details, other relevant details like attached spa with overflow into pool, and your test kits.

Also, consider laying down a contribution and become a subscriber; it keeps the lights on at the forum!
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

Wilco, what's happening?

Wilco is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst Wilco 0

Success is whats happened. After shocking with a myriad of bottles of chlorox and keeping cl above 20 for several days, I let it drift down slowly and now have had stable levels in the 5-7 range by adding a gallon about every other day or every third. Ph started drifting up a bit last few days so added a little acid. Looks great, no sign of anything wrong.
    Starting to cool into the 60s here at night so kids are not as eager to swim with cooler water temp. Don't really want to consider a cover as I have an oddly shaped pool.

Woot! Great news! Kudos on your persistency; hope you get some warm temps to enjoy the rewards!
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Glad you've had some success.

One caution for future reference: we've advised store-brand bleach for years, to help pool owners escape the confusion of the multiple 'flavors' of Clorox bleach. But now it turns out Walmart is adding 'flavors'!

So, here's the key: ONLY purchase bleach that shows "8.25% sodium hypochlorite".

No %? No purchase! "Bleach" without a % can be 1% or less!

So noted. Actually I was getting 3 packs of Clorox at Costco for $8 each, better than walmart generic, and maybe a little more reliable strength-wise.
    Now that cl levels are stable (5-7) I am noticing pH is wanting to creep up. I've added acid twice in a week. Before, it seemed like my pool water would naturally drift lower in ph, and in was adding the borax. Could be cooler temps at night. tA is 110, not much change. Will monitor for a while, but I was under the impression acid use would be rarer.

Perusing other threads I noticed it mentioned that aeration can raise pH. I have had the water feature on 8 hrs/day when pump is on ( two lion head spouts). Could that do it? The timing fits.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Yes. Absolutely. Water features like fountains and waterfalls cause aeration, which raises pH.
    We use it as a tool for lowering total alkalinity as it is the only way to raise pH without TA going up.
    Splashing kids, pointing returns at the surface so they bubble or spray also increase aeration.
    Carl

Lion head spouts??? Do you dress them like the Art Istitute does in Chicago? Tomorrow is opening game for the Hawks... By the way, love the word peruse.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

If you have a concrete pool, lowering the carbonate alkalinity may not be something you want to do. Aeration raises pH by lowering acid carbonates (carbonic acid and dissolved carbon dioxide). This in turn results in reduced alkalinity (bicarbonates and carbonates).

Also, the note about the bleach products was just a caution -- I really had no idea whether it had been an issue for you.

+ Reply to Thread