+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mustard Algae

Straightleg Guest

Default Re: Mustard Algae

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
    OK.
    Here's what I think happened: Your pH went in to the 8s, effectively shutting down most of your chlorine's ability to perform. (Somewhere we have a table or formula on that).
    That allowed algae to form. The answer is STILL to take your FC up to 20ppm (using 5 121oz jugs of 8.25% bleach, instead of 7).

The only other possibility is that something else unrelated to chlorination is going on and it's not algae. But I don't think so.

Carl My ph has been 7.8 - 8.2 all summer, perfect water clarity. No algae

Algae showed up 2 days ago
    I understand to get rid of the algae, I have to pour bleach on it to take my fc up.
    I will shock and clean the pool

Then try a 8 to maintain it

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Do your pool walls and floor feel slippery at all? Any chance that it is dirt/pollen/etc?

Go ahead and take your chlorine up to 20ppm as Carl suggested above and while the chlorine is high, brush the pool.

You don't want to keep your pH at 8ppm. Honestly, that is not the thing that will keep you algae free.

Straightleg Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Watermom View Post
    Do your pool walls and floor feel slippery at all? Any chance that it is dirt/pollen/etc?

Go ahead and take your chlorine up to 20ppm as Carl suggested above and while the chlorine is high, brush the pool.

You don't want to keep your pH at 8ppm. Honestly, that is not the thing that will keep you algae free.

Maybe it is pollen. Everyone has been sneezing lately
    When I say 8, I mean my fc...instead of 5...that ok

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Ok. I thought you meant pH of 8. My bad.

If everyone is sneezing, I bet it is pollen. I just did a google search for 'pollen counts southern ohio' and found a page on the Weather Channel's website that lists it for various cities in the state. I didn't know what city you were in so I just put Cincinnati in and it said moderate to high.

You can try it. Here is the link. http://www.weather.com/outlook/healt...drilldown/ohio
    Then, just click on the first letter of your city's name and you'll be able to find the pollen forecast for your area.

But, having said that, still feel the floor the next time you are in the pool and see if you note any slipperiness.

Hope this helps.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Lisa, she did say pH was high and that she thought it dropping caused the apparent bloom. Also that she maintained pH between 7.8 and 8.2 all summer.

If your pH has been that high all summer, then unless your FC was at the TOP of the recommended maintenance range for your CYA, or higher, then you've been, in my opinion, lucky not to have had a bloom sooner. If your borate level is fairly high and you regularly put in Polyquat 60% it may have inhibited algae growth. Or you just may have been lucky.

But if your CYA is 60 and your FC fell to 5 while your pH was 8 or higher, those numbers work for an algae bloom. It's easily within the range of probability. And once it starts, a normal maintenance range won't stop it.

Now it is also possible you have a lot of pollen, and frequently the stuff is yellow. Allergy season is back on us with a vengeance and even I, who have fairly few allergies, have been suffering.
    Carl

Straightleg Guest

Last time I looked I was a he...(:
    I guess I have been lucky then having clear water. with fc around 5 and cya of 60
    I shocked and swept the pool. Took FC up to 20

This could have been dirt and pollen. It did not rain for awhile and yes I live in Southern Ohio. I don't have allergies but many around me do and said it is bad for them.

I will keep PH down to 7.4

Thanks
    Gerry

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by Straightleg View Post
    Last time I looked I was a he...(:
    I guess I have been lucky then having clear water. with fc around 5 and cya of 60
    I shocked and swept the pool. Took FC up to 20

This could have been dirt and pollen. It did not rain for awhile and yes I live in Southern Ohio. I don't have allergies but many around me do and said it is bad for them.

I will keep PH down to 7.4

Thanks
    Gerry
    Whoops! Mea culpa! Sorry 'bout that....
    Carl

Goals: 7.4 pH and 20 FC. Sounds like a good plan, MR. Straightleg. Post updates!
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

Don't fight your pH to try to keep it exactly at 7.4. Some pools just naturally want to be a little higher. As long as you are 7.2-7.8, you are fine.

Good point. Btw, your email address apparently needs updating. You can do this in settings at the top of this page. Maybe that's why you can't see your posts???? Not sure but worth a try.
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

+ Reply to Thread