+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do sand filters need chemical cleaning?

Pappy is offline PF Supporter Widget Weaver Pappy 0

Default Do sand filters need chemical cleaning?

I just had a "pool guy" tell me that all residential sand filters need to be chemically cleaned once or twice a year to remove gunk like suntan lotion, skin oils, etc. This is in addition to backwashing as needed. I've not heard this before. Is there any truth to this claim?

Thanks!

Pappy
    Intex 15ftx4ft 4500 gal. 3/4 HP Pentair WhisperFlo pump. Hayward 21" sand filter. Taylor K-2006 & K-1106 kits. PF=27

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Do sand filters need chemical cleaning?

No.
    If you need to clean your sand filter any other way but back washing, something is dreadfully, terribly wrong, or you are completing a baquacil to chlorine conversion
    Carl

That's what I thought. I'm probably going to change my sand this winter any way, because I used Quikcrete pool sand. It is .45 - .85 mm, which is within the specs for my Intex filter, but AquaQuartz is .45 - .55 mm so it should filter better. It will probably cause higher filter pressure and some what reduce the water flow too.

Thanks again!

Pappy
    Intex 15ftx4ft 4500 gal. 3/4 HP Pentair WhisperFlo pump. Hayward 21" sand filter. Taylor K-2006 & K-1106 kits. PF=27

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Is your filter not working well? Remember the old saying: If it ain't broke.....

As filter sand gets older two things happen: It wears down and it collects dirt that doesn't wash off. Both are good things because it makes the sand filter better, making it catch smaller and smaller particles. I am still using the sand that was installed in the filter for this, the 12th season and I have NO reason to change it.

Try a little DE in it first, 1/4 to 1/3 cup at a time, just enough to raise the pressure 1 or 2 lbs. DE will significantly improve the filtering of a sand filter. The water goes from clear to glistening! DE is cheap, too...I've been using the same 10lb box for 4 or 5 years now and paid less than $10 for it. Save you work, save you effort, for maybe a buck or two outlay a season.
    Carl

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Carl, agreed that it is usually unnecessary to change your filter sand. But........ his filter has Quik-rete sand in it and that is one that has been found to not be a good one. So, he probably is doing a good thing by changing it out in this case.

So...it IS broke!

Still, if DE will keep it working, well, it's a cheap fix.
    Carl

DE does help. I just figured I'd let the sand dry this winter and suck it out with my monster shop vac. Then I'll dump it in the grand kid's sand box.

Thanks!

Pappy

Be careful not to damage the laterals and to get the new sand all the way under where the laterals go, and make sure they are seated properly when you put them back.
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread