+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How Much Bleach According to the Ben's Best Guide Chart?

Default How Much Bleach According to the Ben's Best Guide Chart?

My pool is still green but I have hope. I am waiting for the Taylor test kit - K2006 - but in the meantime I tested with a test strip. My pH and alkalinity are within range. The test strip indicates my CYA is between 50-100 ppm. I would like to get my Free Chlorine up to 15 ppm according to the BBG chart. I have 50 bottles of bleach. They are not gallon bottles but 96 fl. oz. I have about 37 gallons of bleach. How many gallons do I need to pour in to raise my FC up to 15 ppm? Do I pour the bleach directly in the skimmer or in the pool? Thank you in advance for any assistance you provide.
    rectangular IG pool

Pappy is offline PF Supporter Widget Weaver Pappy 0

Default Re: How Much Bleach According to the Ben's Best Guide Chart?

What is the concentration of the bleach? And the volume of the pool? I pour bleach through the skimmer with the pump running.
    Intex 15ftx4ft 4500 gal. 3/4 HP Pentair WhisperFlo pump. Hayward 21" sand filter. Taylor K-2006 & K-1106 kits. PF=27

I purchase the bleach at Dollar Tree - Home Store Bleach. It does not state on the bottle but I would surmise it is 6% sodium hypochlorite. My pool is 20 x 44 - 30,000 to 35,000 gallons. I have used Clorox Concentrate a couple years ago and my pool started sudzing up. Someone on the forum told me that Clorox Concentrate should not do that but the Dollar Tree is the only place I can find regular bleach.
    rectangular IG pool

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

The way you calculate FC added is by the following formula:
    (1,000,000/PV)*Conc*Amt= FC

PV= Pool Volume
    Conc= Concentration of bleach as a decimal, so 6% is .06, 8.25% is .0825
    Amt= Amount of bleach added in gallons--I usually use 1

To convert to odd amounts set Amt to 1, then divide by 128 (ounces), then multiply by the odd number of ounces.
    Carl

My thanks to Pappy and CarlD. According to the formulas provided by CarlD, I needed 16 bottles of my bleach to raise the FC to above 20. I know I said 15, but I decided to raise it to 20.

In the past hour, I swept the pool. I had my recently repaired Mr. Polaris running during the night, so I did not get that much bloom when I swept the pool.

After sweeping it down, I tested for pH using a drop test kit. The test indicated I was somewhere between 7.2 - 7.5. My FC drop test was 0. I then tested with an hth test strip - it has CYA on the strip - and the pH and FC were the same. The CYA indicated between 50 and 100 ppm.

Next, I poured in 17 bottles of my bleach directly into the skimmers. Now I am going down the road for some errands and I will test the FC when I get back. Hope to hear from someone when I return.

Again, thanks to Pappy and CarlD.
    rectangular IG pool

+ Reply to Thread