+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is main drain necessary?

Default Is main drain necessary?

There was some discussion in this thread about whether or not a main drain is necessary;

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...-flow-reversal

My pool has a main drain; I've never seen an IG pool without one so I just took it for granted we needed one when we had our pool built.

After reading that thread, I greatly reduced the flow the main drain to see what would happen (our setup has a valve that can be closed to shut off the MD). It does seem the skimmers are performing better, but it hasn't been very long and it could just be we just haven't had as much debris in the pool this past week.

So far I've not noticed any negative affects, though I do notice that when I reduce flow from the MD the filter pressure drops. Does this mean I'm not getting as much flow out of the returns?

For reference my pool has 2 skimmers, 1 MD, and 3 returns (4 if you count were the pressure cleaner hooks up).

I look forward to reading other's input on this topic.
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

Default Re: Is main drain necessary?

You will probably see a lot of opinions on this but I think you know my position if you read the thread.

Without a main drain you will see better performance out of the skimmers. But the study I posted should be enough to convince you:

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...169#post126169
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    You will probably see a lot of opinions on this but I think you know my position if you read the thread.

Without a main drain you will see better performance out of the skimmers. But the study I posted should be enough to convince you:

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...169#post126169
    Yes, I did read that (thank you for posting that ). Your posts are what have me pursuing how my pool behaves without the MD, or at least with flow from the MD greatly reduced.

Do you know if the pressure drop I'm seeing at the filter when restricting the MD flow means there's also less flow coming out of the returns?

I'm always learning something new here.
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

Turning off the main drain adds head loss to the suction (i.e two lines vs three) which in turn lowers flow rate but usually not by a lot. You should expect a slight drop in pressure because of this. However, the amount of total flow rate lost is less than the flow rate gain by the remaining skimmer so you come out well ahead from that perspective. I think overall, your pool will probably end up cleaner without the main drain, than with it.

But given your run time (12 hrs), you might want to read the article in my signature on pump run time. Most pools only need about 3-4 hours per day. You can save a lot of energy and cost by reducing pump run time.
    Last edited by mas985; 08-19-2014 at 06:30 PM.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    Turning off the main drain adds head loss to the suction (i.e one line vs two) which in turn lowers flow rate but usually not by a lot. You should expect a slight drop in pressure because of this. However, the amount of total flow rate lost is less than the flow rate gain by the remaining skimmer so you come out well ahead from that perspective. I think overall, your pool will probably end up cleaner without the main drain, than with it.

But given your run time (12 hrs), you might want to read the article in my signature on pump run time. Most pools only need about 3-4 hours per day. You can save a lot of energy and cost by reducing pump run time.
    Thanks. I'll take a look at that link in your sig.

With the SWCG I'm not sure if I could get away with only 3-4 hrs. Right now I have it set to 70% to maintain CL, though it is an older cell (in it's 7th season) which may explain the higher setting. When the cell was new I only needed to set it to about 40% if I recall correctly.

Which brings up a question. Is it better to run the SWCG at a lower setting (longer pump on time) giving the pool doses of CL throughout the day, or at 100% (shortest pump on time) dosing CL one time a day? (Lol, I've derailed my thread already!).

From the SWG perspective, 100% for 4 hours vs 50% for 8 hours is the same. From a FC perspective, it shouldn't matter either as long as the FC doesn't go below the minimum recommended FC level. So if you reduce pump run time and you know FC will dip some after the pump is off, then you just need to set the FC a little higher. However, with a SWG, you should have 60-80 ppm of CYA and so the FC should not drop that much when the pump is off.

I run my pump 4 hours per day and the SWG output is set to about 95% specifically because I am trying to reduce run time as much as I can.
    Mark

I appreciate you sharing your experience with this.

I'm wondering how long my SWCG can stay off before CL dips below the minimum? I try not to let it dip below 5ppm with CYA maintained at 70-80ppm, and preferably maintain between 6-7ppm for a little wiggle room.

Am I correct that if right now I have to set the SWCG to 70% for 12 hours, then running at 100% I would have to run it 8.4 hrs (12*.7=8.4)? Am I figuring that right?

Yes, that is correct. As for the FC, just measure it one evening after the sun goes down and see what it is. But at 8 hours, that should still be enough to cover most of the daylight hours anyway.
    Mark

Thanks.

I was looking up your SWCG and it looks like it uses the same cell, T-15 Turbo Cell, as my Aqua Rite (now Hayward, I believe).

Yes, mine uses the T-15 and currently on my 9th year. It produces about 1.45 lbs of chlorine per 24 hr period at 100%. So in 12 hrs at 70%, that would be about 1/2 lbs per day or about 3 ppm per day added to the pool which would be on the high side. So either your cell is indeed failing or you have something else in the pool that is consuming a lot of chlorine.

Have you done an overnight free chlorine loss test? You should not lose much chlorine overnight and if you do, then it could be something growing in the pool.
    Mark

+ Reply to Thread