Thread: Clean salt cell with vinegar

Default Clean salt cell with vinegar

I am going to clean my salt cell with vinegar. Is this a good idea? And how long should I let it soak? Thanks for the awesome site!

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Clean salt cell with vinegar

I am not the SWCG expert around here but I don't think you want to use vinegar. I did a little research before replying to your post and I found the following post written by one of our support team members in regards to an Aqua-Rite unit. You did not say what type you have but I suspect that the procedure would be the same for other types as well. If there is any question, you should check the manual that came with your unit.

From a previous post: Do not use vinegar or dry acid to clean your cell. You use a 4:1 mix of water to muriatic acid as explained in the AquaRite manual (http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/Manual239.pdf) on page 8,which I will quote:
    Mild Acid Washing: Use only in severe cases where flushing and scraping will not
    remove the majority of deposits. To acid wash, turn off power to Aqua Rite. Remove
    cell from piping. In a clean plastic container, mix a 4:1 solution of water to muriatic acid
    (one gallon of water to one quart of muriatic acid). ALWAYS ADD ACID TO WATER -
    NEVER ADD WATER TO ACID. Be sure to wear rubber gloves and appropriate eye
    protection. The level of the solution in the container should just reach the top of the
    cell so that the wire harness compartment is NOT submerged. It may be helpful to coil
    the wiring before immersing the cell. The cell should soak for a few minutes and then
    rinse with a high pressure garden hose. If any deposits are still visible, repeat soaking
    and rinsing. Replace cell and inspect again periodically.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

I've never heard of using vinegar to clean a cell. If the metal catalytic panels are shiny and clean and look like, well, metal, you don't need to acid-wash them.
    Carl

I can't think of any reason why vinegar would be a real problem. I think it is mildly acidic if memory serves. Having said that, you should probably just follow the instructions that came with your SWCG. Watermom's instructions above seem to be the instructions that go along with my aquarite SWCG.

If you can see the panels inside your cell you can determine if acid washing is necessary as Carl mentioned. I can't see the plates in my cell, so I can't use that method.

I have made the determination I needed an acid wash when the salt reading on my control panel differs significantly from the test results I get with my Taylor K-1766. You can perform the same test with fairly reliable results using Aquacheck salt test strips if you can't get a 1766 kit.

Why are you thinking you need to wash the cell?
    rectangle 11.5K gal IG concrete pool;; 125sf cartridge filter; 2hp 1 speed pump; K-2006, k-1766; PF:10