+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Blue Cloudy Water

Default Blue Cloudy Water

Help!! Please tell me what I need to do to get rid of this blue cloudy water. I saw on here before I joined that some others had this problem and I followed all the directions that were given to them but it is not working for me. I have raised my chlorine and ph up to the readings that were mentioned. I have been dealing with this problem for about a month, and while the bleach and borax is less expensive than the actual chemicals my expense for bleach and borax is getting pretty high.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Blue Cloudy Water

Hi and welcome to the Pool Forum!

We'll need some additional info to be able to help.

1. What kind of pool is it? What is the volume?
    2. What size pump and what kind and size of filter?
    3. Exactly what all have you added to the pool, meaning ingredients and not just product names like 'shock.'
    4. What does the water look like?
    5. What is the source of your fill water --- a well or city water?
    6. Do you have a drops-based test kit? If so, what kind? Post current numbers.

If you don't have a good drops-based test kit:
    The test kit that we think is by far the best is the Taylor K2006 or 2006C (better buy). Not available locally but you can get it through this link that takes you to Amazon: http://pool9.net/tk/

But, in the meantime, go to Walmart and see if they have the HTH 6-Way drops-based kit (no test strips!) and get that. If they don't, get an OTO/Phenol Red kit (yellow and red drops) instead. Use it to test and then post your numbers. Also while you are at WallyWorld, get several jugs of their generic 8.25% bleach, a couple of boxes of 20 Mule Team Borax (laundry aisle) and a gallon of distilled water.

Repost with requested info and then someone here can try and help you.

(Until you registration is completed, you won't be able to see the rest of the forum while you are logged in. So, copy that link and then paste it into a browser window after you log out.)

Hello Watermom, I have an in ground, 26k gallon vinyl liner pool, sand filter, city water. I have a drops based kit that I got from Walmart that test for chlorine, ph, and bromide. My water is blue and cloudy. I cannot see the bottom of the shallow or deep end. I can see the second step on the shallow end. The water color actually looks neat but it is not clear. The only thing I have been adding for the last month is regular bleach from Walmart and 20 mule borax from Walmart. I will try to post numbers this weekend if not I will post them Monday morning.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

If your water is blue and cloudy, not green and cloudy, then it's probably NOT algae. Does the cloud seem kinda white to you?

I really think we need to see your Calcium Hardness and Total Alkalinity levels.

What you can do is get the HTH 6-Way drop kit from WalMart Watermom mentioned and test those two things as well. BTW, the Bromine "Test" is the same as the Chlorine test. You just read it differently if you use Bromine instead of Chlorine to sanitize your pool. Otherwise ignore the bromine markings.

The test for CH and T/A in the HTH kit is basically the same as in the K-2006.

You see, I suspect you have very, very hard water and it's precipitated out.
    Carl

Hello, thank you for replying. I will get one of the kits mentioned, run a test post the numbers. Yeah I don't think I have an algae problem. The water does not seem white at all. It is just light blue but cloudy.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Have you had an algae bloom recently. Sometimes when you have had algae that has been killed already, it can make the water look a cloudy blue before it filters out.

Ok my numbers are chlorine 1.5 and ph 7.8. What do I need to do?

Any idea what your CYA level is? Shock level is based on CYA readings. Did your Walmart not have a 6-way drops-based kit? It has a CYA test in it. Are you going to order a Taylor K2006 kit? Having more info from that kit will make it easier to get your pool cleared up.

I don't even know what cya is. My walmart only has the strip and the chlorine and ph drops kits. I guess I will take a sample in to the pool store then post the numbers from there.

Unfortunately, we have found through the years that pool store testing is not usually very accurate. After all, they are in the business of making money by selling you stuff. It is better to test it yourself which is why I recommended that you get a good kit for yourself.

CYA is cyanuric acid, also called stabilizer or conditioner. It is kind of like sunscreen for your chlorine. Outdoor pools need some or else they quickly lose all of their chlorine to the sun. Needed chlorine levels are based on the CYA reading so it is important to know what it is. More info about the CYA/Chlorine connection can be found here:> http://pool9.net/cl-cya/

+ Reply to Thread