+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Skimmer Replacement

Default Skimmer Replacement

The skimmer on my inground pool has begun to protrude into the pool about 1/2". If I have the pool company break up the concrete to straighten it out, my thought is to completely replace it (even though it is plastic).

Any reason not to go with the wide mouth skimmer versus the square skimmer currently in place? I would think water flow would be much better into the skimmer. Currently I have one skimmer on each side of the pool (IG Vinyl, 27.5K) and one main drain.

Joe

Default Re: Skimmer Replacement

Are you replacing the liner at the same time? Does your pool leak when the pump is off?
    I'm probably wrong here but; I would think your water flow is based on your pump, filter and pipe setup. If that's the case going to wider skimmer could actually cause less to be sucked into the skimmer.
    16' x 32' IG, 22K, 1HP sand filter

Yes, the liner is being replaced. This is why we are looking at replacing the skimmer.

I am not sure if the pool is leaking with the pump off. We had a leak in the liner repaired, it split further underneath the patch, and now things are slowly leaking again. The liner is pretty brittle.
    Joe

My Pool = Cleveland, Ohio, IG, Vinyl Liner, 27.5k, Hayward EcoStar, Starite System III, Starite Maxetherm 400k

Oh my! A skimmer protruding into your pool??? I know this is a side issue but what are the installers claiming is the underlying cause? (If not a leak?)
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

You might want to leave your pump off for a day and see if your suction side is leaking. This way you'll know that the only problem is the skimmer sticking out a little. I recently had to cut through my concrete to replace all of my return plumbing. I'm curious, what's the quote for replacing a skimmer. I decided not to replace mine since I leave the pump on all the time. While installing the liner I did find that the skimmer faceplate was installed incorrectly. This had caused some washout around the 2 panels by the skimmer. I had to remove those two panels and scrape the dirt that had escaped and put it back behind the panels. Good luck with everything.

The skimmer bottom sticking into the pool is due to the outside of the sidewalk settling from what I can tell (the change in angle). I had to do the other skimmer about 6 years ago. Current quote is $1400 to sawcut and break up the concrete around the skimer, install the new skimmer, and reconcrete with rebar to ensure it stays level with the other concrete.
    Joe

My Pool = Cleveland, Ohio, IG, Vinyl Liner, 27.5k, Hayward EcoStar, Starite System III, Starite Maxetherm 400k

Cutting the concrete is the easy part. The extra digging and moving the concrete is back breaking stuff. This is about 1100 for labor and it might just be worth it.

+ Reply to Thread