+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pump is shot. Shopping for replacement...

Question Pump is shot. Shopping for replacement...

My Hayward Power-Flow LX 1hp pump is shot. The bearings are worn and noisy. I want to replace it with a 2 speed pump, cost permitting. The pump is paired with a Hayward S166T 16" sand filter. I want to drop a pump size or two as I think 1 hp may be too large. What say the board? Would 3/4 hp be a better fit?

Thanks. And my neighbors thank you too.
    Kevin
    15x30 oval AG Pool. Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump. Hayward 16" sand filter. Taylor K2006 test kit.

Default Re: Pump is shot. Shopping for replacement...

Anyone? Looking for some input before dropping $$$.

Thanks.
    Kevin
    15x30 oval AG Pool. Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump. Hayward 16" sand filter. Taylor K2006 test kit.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Hayward doesn't make a 2spd pump small enough. Their smallest is the 1hp Superpump, and that will probably bust your filter at full power, unless you put a smaller impeller on it. I think Pentair makes a 3/4 hp 2spd but that is the smallest I know of. Too bad there's no 1/2 hp 2spd out there, AFAIK.
    Carl

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Hayward does make a power-flo Matrix 1hp 2speed 115V. I can't tell how much you'd need to change the plumbing.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

I'm noticing that I would need to buy at least 1 HP to get a 2 speed. I'm running 1 HP right now and I think it may be too big. Leaning toward the Hayward 3/4 HP. I would save a little bit with that over what I have. The current pump is 6 years old according to Hayward.
    Kevin

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

Technically, there is no pump on the market, except maybe an Intex, that is a correct size for your filter. Your filter has a max flow rate of 35 GPM but ideally, you should be around 21 GPM with that filter.

However, the good news is that the Power LX 1 HP pump would provide about 49 GPM on high speed and about 24 GPM on low speed. So one option would be to replace the pump motor with a 2 speed motor and operate on low speed all the time.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

With the short pipe run I have, my pump can do about 60 GPM, which is pointless if the filter can only do 35. I'm stepping down the HP 2 speed or not. Thanks for the input.
    Kevin

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

I think mas985 is telling you that a 2 speed motor may be the only way to get as low as you need to go.

Just ordered the 3/4 HP Hayward Matrix from Amazon. Might have to put in a new outlet. My old pump has a twist lock cord. Think the new one is standard 3-prong.
    Kevin

Or you can change the plug. Twist-lock is code in my town. Consider plumbing in a valve between the pump outlet and the filter to throttle the flow - that's still too much pump for that filter.

+ Reply to Thread