Thread: Urgent sand filter help needed-regarding installation!

Default Urgent sand filter help needed-regarding installation!

I am about to use a shotgun to riddle my pool with bullets. Please note I am new to troublefreepool, have had my first pool for just one month, and I have searched for the answer to my question and believe it's out there but the replies are likely over my not-so-handy head. If you are kind enough to reply, please answer as if you're explaining to a kindergartner so that I can fully understand. Thanks so much.

I have a metal frame Intex 12' x 30" pool, with no skimmer. I just purchased an Intex 14" Sand Filter Pump (2900 Gallons). I could have sworn that, upon reading the reviews on Amazon, someone posted that they purchased this sand filter to use with their 12x30 Intex pool. Now I'm concerned that I can't use this with my pool. So, I have (at least) 4 problems/questions:

1. The pool, nor the new sand filter, came with a plunger valve. Is the plunger valve necessary?
    2. The pool inlet is just a 1.25" plastic neck coming out from the liner (no threading). The instructions in the sand filter manual show a threaded connector that comes out of the liner at the pool inlet. Not included, nor do I have it.
    3. The threaded end of the pump/filter hose is much larger than the pool inlet.
    4. Did I get the wrong Intex filter? Is there a way to construct an adaptor so this filter will work?

Thanks SO MUCH for any help you can provide. I'm so frustrated with trying to understand all this, and also with finding by trial and error that what I need to properly run this pool is not clearly indicated in the Intex literature.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Urgent sand filter help needed-regarding installation!

First off, we are Poolforum.com, not troublefreepools.com. They are a different forum. Generally their advice is reasonable, however, though there is some difference in philosophy.

Here is what you can do: You can get a reducer that threads onto the hose and reduces it to 1.25". It will be threaded on one end and smooth on the other and should fit into the pool fitting. Use a hose clamp to seal it. Most pool stores sell such an adapter. It will look something like this:

http://www.poolsupplies.com/product/sku/274112

You may need two adapters: 1 that's threaded on the inside and goes from 1.5" to 1.25" and this one. It may take more. The parts guys at pool stores are actually much better at this stuff than they are on chemicals and testing. You'll need teflon tape for the threads, too.

I hope this helps.
    Carl

Thank you so much Carl! I will give our local pool store a call.

Thank you so much Carl! Can you tell me if the plunger valve is necessary? Also, I've read a lot about people hard plumbing their pools, but can't find an explanation as to why they make that choice. Can you help?

Have a great day!

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

FYI --- I deleted your other post that had the same two questions in it as the one right above. Just so you'll know, when you make a post, it goes into the moderation queue and waits until we read it and approve it and mod it in. So, you may not see your posts appear on the forum immediately but we try to get them in as quickly as we can.

Welcome to the Pool Forum, by the way!

Thanks Watermom!