We have installed all Pentair equipment in our pool, including Clear and Clean filter, InteliFlow pump, EasyTouch control and a remote and InteliChlor chlorinator. Most of it worked moderately well with few issues. The major disappointment was Pentair InteliChlor IC40 failing on the 3rd summer of use. The cell has been cleaned regularly, avoiding acid cleaning when not absolutely required, it currently reports 60% life left on its LED display, but the “cell” light is blinking and the EasyTouch reports “Clean Cell” message. Well, it is clean! It is not producing any chlorine.

We called the Pentair support and spoke to Diane on 8/4/14. She told that these cells only last 2-3 years, basically tough luck our “valued customer”, buy another unit. The day prior (8/3/14), we’ve sent an email to Pentair and were also contacted by email on 8/4/14 by Frank Castro with Pentair Water Pool and Spa Inc. Frank seemed interested in helping (so it seemed at first), suggested we test the water (pool equipment manufacturer’s classic playbook: blame the water, pool owner). Tested the water, it was fine, except phosphates were elevated. Frank then tells us that the InteliChlor is actually working fine, it is the phosphates that cause the chlorine level to be low. Well Frank, in case Pentair has not read its own manual that states “Cell: Shows the status of the IECG. Green (flashing): The IECG needs to be inspected. The blades may have calcium buildup. The IECG is not producing chlorine.”

After I’ve mentioned to Frank what the manual says, he has stopped responding to my emails. I’ll follow up with him, but my guess the next thing he’ll tell me: tough luck our “valued customer”, buy another unit

Having used salt water system for 3 years now and having dealt with associated issues caused by the system and now the InteliChlor failure, I’ve learned few things:

1. Salt water chlorination system causes Ph to climb rapidly and required more frequent addition to Muriatic acid to the pool.
2. Manufacturer claims of salt system lifetime should be disregarded as a naked advertisement unless backed by the warranty and fellow pool owner reports of such.
3. Salt water pool system is much more expensive to buy and operate (see below my estimate of 10-year cost vs. chlorine tablets).
4. Salt water system solidifies calcium from the water and the salt cell when switches electrode polarity (new ones do) to shake it off, the calcium “dust” is injected into the pool. Someone called this calcium dandruff.

Here is my cost estimate based on what we’ve spent and some input from my associates who are using chlorine tablets:
1. Salt Water Cost:
a. Initial system purchase - ~$1,000
b. Salt - ~$120 for a large pool, added every time the water is changed out (recommended every 3 years) - $120 x 3 (times in 10 years) = $360
c. Replacing salt cell - ~$640 every 3 years - $360 x 3 (times in 10 years) = $1,920
d. Additional muriatic acid cost – will ignore, but certainly increased due to salt water system.
e. Total 10 year cost: $1,000(a.) + $360(b.) + $1,920(c.) = $3,280

2. Chlorine Tablet Sanitizer System Cost:
a. Floater $12, replaced every 3 years - $36
b. Chlorine tablets (bucket from Costco) - $90 for a year supply - $90 * 10 = $900
c. Total 10 year cost: $36 + $900 = $936

The bottom line: there is no even comparison. Did I mention that the salt cell needs to be removed from the system and cleaned using acid every ~3 months. So it is also higher maintenance.

What I haven’t mentioned is that we also have DEL Ozone Eclipse 2 Ozinator, we’re quite happy with it. It is a corona discharge unit and is capable of generating more ozone than UV systems. Running ozone with chlorine, we kept chlorine very low (~.5 ppm) and the water was very clear, no algae or any other issues. The pool is much cleaner that at any of our friends who either use salt water system by itself or chlorine tablets. When the InteliChlor died, we didn’t know as the Pentair EasyTouch doesn’t warn you, unless you visit diagnostics screen, we’ve noticed algae growing on pool steps. So, Ozone by itself, at least with the unit we’ve got that is not sized to be the primary sanitizer, is not enough to sanitize the pool. But we did like the results of using low chlorine with ozone.

So my conclusion is that the most economical system that will get crystal clear water without headaches or additional maintenance is using a good ozone unit and a chlorine feeder (e.g. Hayward cl220), running chlorine very low. That’s exactly what we’re going to do with our pool.

Meanwhile, we’re very unhappy with the quality of the Pentair InteliChlor unit, their technical support and Pentair not standing behind their expensive products.