+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Not a good day!

Default Not a good day!

Well this season has not been a good one in many ways.

Pool pump had to be replaced, had to have most of my plumbing replaced and a very nasty green pool that took forever to get clean!

Last night I removed the polaris from the pool to empty the bag (we had a storm come through earlier and lots of leaves etc in bottom of pool). I got distracted and forgot to put the polaris back in the pool.

Leaving work I had a call from hubby who said "why is the pool cleaner out of the pool and water shooting everywhere"!

I got home and the water level had dropped below the skimmer, all the water had obviously gone through the polaris sitting on the side of the pool.

I ran to the equipment and the pool filter pressure guage was at zero - I switched it off immediately.

I am now refilling the pool to the correct level but I am so worried that I may have done some serious damage. I am dreading switching everything back on once the levels are back to normal.

Do you think I may have damaged both the pool pump and the booster pump. Both pumps sounded ok when I switched the equipment off.
    in-ground gunite pool 20x40; Sta-Rite Dura Glas pump; sand filter

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Not a good day!

As long as water was still flowing through both pumps, it's unlikely that they were damaged.

And, since you have a gunite pool, IT was probably not damaged either.

But, if you don't have a K2006, this might be a good time to order one, since your pool chemistry likely will have changed quite a bit, with all the new water.

Best wishes.

Thanks for your swift response Ben, I have a Taylor K2006 kit and will test water later. I was so panicked when I got home I didn't even think to look and see if water was flowing but I am guessing that if the water was not flowing the pump would have been noisy? Could the filter still show zero pressure and have water flowing? There was still some water coming out of the polaris but it seemed weaker than usual. One thing for sure I will NEVER make that mistake again!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Just turn them off, fill things up, and check them out. It's possible they got hot, and will need new seals. Usually, it doesn't burn up the motors.

Remember, that even if there ARE problems, you can maintain the pool by pouring bleach in it, and using polyquat.

Thank you so much, I am going to throw some bleach in and leave everything till later tonight or first thing in the morning. I am guessing I will need to increase CYA. I have only just added some to it as all the vaccing I had to do and refilling pool to clear the algae reduced my CYA to a big fat zero!

I will also adjust PH and check everything.

Oh well I can cope with that as long as the pumps are ok.
    Thank you again for your help :-)

+ Reply to Thread