+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Clear, but no chlorine???

mary jo is offline Subscriber Thread Analyst mary jo 0

Default Re: Clear, but no chlorine???

Thanks for the pH explanation. I used 3:1 ratio because 2:1's results were difficult for me to read. At 3:1 dilution, pH =7.6

Yesterday: FC went from 32 (morning) to 29 (early evening), and CC stayed @ 2.0. So I added approx. 24 oz of bleach (I figured about 1/5 of a jug) to bring the FC back up. At 10:30pm FC=31 CC=2.0

This morning @ 6:30am FC=30 CC=2.0

I decided to use the 2 scoops of DPD. Glad FC is holding, but darned frustrated about CC not lowering. Rainy day here, but sun just came out. Can't think of anything else to clean!
    15K gal, 15x30 rectangular, in-ground, vinyl liner, Pentair ¾ HP Whisperflo on 24/7, Pentair Cartridge Filter(CCP240), Heater (gas), Automatic Pool Cover

Filters cartridges? You didn't clean them because they were new but maybe now?

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Since your FC went, during the day, only from 32 to 29, I'm not seeing the point in adding still more bleach to get the CC down, which has dropped. You just need a sunny day or 2, I think.
    Carl

CarlD- I envy your optimism!
    I actually had a question about the cartridges. So far I have been adding bleach to my pool by pouring it around the perimeter (slowly). I've never added any chemicals to the skimmers -was told not to by pool installers- I think because of the inline chlorinator being full of tricolor pucks. But the chlorinator has been emptied and cleaned out- as has the Nature2 vessel. (I just wiped both down again and they are clean. Water also flows through the empty vessel but I turned the chlorinator off so it gets just a trickle).

Does adding chemicals directly to the skimmer offer any benefits (i.e. getting full strength CL to the filters)? btw: filter pressure started at 10 and is only 11 1/2 now and very strong pressure.
    15K gal, 15x30 rectangular, in-ground, vinyl liner, Pentair ¾ HP Whisperflo on 24/7, Pentair Cartridge Filter(CCP240), Heater (gas), Automatic Pool Cover

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Personally, my favorite way to add it is to the return stream. The ONLY reason I don't like adding it through the skimmer is that sometimes the chlorine splashes onto the deck material and discolors it.
    Carl

Quote Originally Posted by PoolDoc View Post
    ...ANY cartridge or filter media is a potential reservoir of accumulated oxidizable 'goo'. 2. For the same reason, clean the filter cartridges. Be sure to do it correctly. Spraying them off (with the hose; NOT with a pressure washer!!) is a good intermediate cleaning, but a full cleaning, which should remove any oxidizable 'goo' that could create chlorine demand takes more. See http://pool9.net/cart-clean/
    Still want you to do this..... Can't hurt and can only help.
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

I did read the post by Pool Doc about cleaning cartridges- saw a couple videos as well. I already have a set of hosed-off filters awaiting a TSP soak.
    I am reluctant to clean the recently added cartridges because they were added right before I started shocking, and were new and clean and the pressure has risen very little since then. Plus, honestly, I am still leary of doing this by myself- so I'll want my husband to "help" (maybe he'll get really good at this and it becomes his job-ha), but his availability is limited. BUT i hear you- it's the only thing left to re-check, right?
    That's why I mentioned that perhaps pouring bleach directly into the skimmer could maybe help. I read that it helps clean the sand in sand-based systems, but have never read anything about cartridges.

Quote Originally Posted by mary jo View Post
    I am reluctant to clean the recently added cartridges because they were added right before I started shocking, and were new and clean and the pressure has risen very little since then... BUT i hear you- it's the only thing left to re-check, right?
    Your pool has undergone a lot since you started shocking. Get the hubby on the job! Just my recommendation.
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

The filters have been exposed to high level chlorine the entire time they've been in service, I don't think adding bleach to the skimmer would make any difference. I know it's frustrating but I think some more patience and sun will get you there.

So keep up the testing and add bleach as needed to maintain FC 30?
    Btw: my husband just got out of the pool- he's been in it several times now during the past few weeks, and for the first time he noticed that the water had a bitter "taste" to it- whereas in the past- even this Friday, it did not. (Not that he regularly drinks pool water). Ever heard of this before?

+ Reply to Thread