+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23

Thread: Clear, but no chlorine???

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Clear, but no chlorine???

Um, I don't see what the problem is. You threw in bags of...cal-hypo or di-chlor and it protected your pool over the winter. Did you test your water in the spring? If the #s were acceptable why change?

BBB is a way of thinking more than a set of rigid rules. There's a time and a place for Di-Chlor, Cal-Hypo and Tri-Chlor, as well as bleach.
    Carl

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Carl, you may not have enough of her thread to know but her CYA is high and her fill water is high in CH. So, bleach is probably the better choice for her.

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

@CarlD: mary jo's pool's CYA is 150 and the CH is near 700.

@mary jo: What CarlD seems to be getting around to is:"If shocking the pool worked in the past, might as well shock the pool now" which is your plan. Watermom's suggestion of using polyquat 60% is probably a good idea too. Are you going to have the pool guys winterize the equipment again this year or do you plan to do it yourself?

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by Watermom View Post
    Carl, you may not have enough of her thread to know but her CYA is high and her fill water is high in CH. So, bleach is probably the better choice for her.
    Well, I would agree with that. But it doesn't indicate a major change in strategy, merely replacing problematic chlorine sources with our fav...bleach.

My own closing routine is, of course, get everything (in the chemistry) clean and balanced, wait till the water temp drops to 60 (65 max), raise FC to shock level. Add 1 qt 60% poly, wait 48 hours, then test and raise FC to shock level again...then close.
    Carl

mary jo is offline Subscriber Thread Analyst mary jo 0

Sounds like a plan, thanks, got it.

@BigDave: I'll definitely have the pool guys winterize the pool- it's something I don't want to tackle at this point.
    I promised the kids 3 more weeks of swimming so it should be plenty cold when closing time comes around. thanks
    15K gal, 15x30 rectangular, in-ground, vinyl liner, Pentair ¾ HP Whisperflo on 24/7, Pentair Cartridge Filter(CCP240), Heater (gas), Automatic Pool Cover

Hey. You mentioned that you were planning on retesting CYA. Did you? Just curious
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

If you can, take video of the closing to help you remember.

mary jo is offline Subscriber Thread Analyst mary jo 0

@FBU: cya tested a bit higher: 170
    @BigDave: That's a good idea. They also suggested that I have my pool heater "thermo regulator" replaced this year.
    15K gal, 15x30 rectangular, in-ground, vinyl liner, Pentair ¾ HP Whisperflo on 24/7, Pentair Cartridge Filter(CCP240), Heater (gas), Automatic Pool Cover

+ Reply to Thread