+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Clear, but no chlorine???

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Clear, but no chlorine???

I've experienced it, but I don't know what it means. Generally, sour means acidic and bitter mean alkaline, but it's not necessarily caused by the pH. I suspect it's stuff the chlorine metabolized but hasn't yet been filtered out.
    Carl

Agreed. Sounds like CC. Ever taste hotel pool water???!!!
    Last edited by FormerBromineUser; 08-30-2014 at 09:23 PM.
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

mary jo is offline Subscriber Thread Analyst mary jo 0

He said the smell is definitely like hotel but not as strong today- meaning worse yesterday. But the "taste" he's never encountered before. I thought it might be the rain - we've had some last night and early morning and the cover was open. I'll tell him it's CC and see if he gets grossed out.

Btw: I want to take is opportunity to thank BigDave and FBU and Watermom and CarlD and of course PoolDoc ( whom I didn't immediately realize was "the Ben" who championed the site), and everyone else here who patiently read through my not-so-succinct posts and helped me get closer to the finish line. I've learned so much already- thank you!!!
    15K gal, 15x30 rectangular, in-ground, vinyl liner, Pentair ¾ HP Whisperflo on 24/7, Pentair Cartridge Filter(CCP240), Heater (gas), Automatic Pool Cover

Hahaha. Just wait til he takes that gross, old Tri-Chlor to the haz-mat! I can't imagine it's due to the rain.... Your CC was lower last night and this morning. Let's see where you are tonight and tomorrow.
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

FINALLY….numbers even a pessimist can appreciate:

Yesterday morning @ 6:30am: FC=30 CC=2.0
    Yesterday evening @ 9:00pm: FC=28 CC=1.0 !!!!!!!

Needless to say I tested several (OK 4) times to make sure. yea!

This morning tested @ 7:00am: FC=27 CC=1.0

So could that bitter taste in the water have been an "extinction burst"- the microbe's last hurrah before kicking it??? (I know, probably not, but I like the imagery).
    OH- Add more bleach today or wait and see??? It's a sunny Sunday here.
    15K gal, 15x30 rectangular, in-ground, vinyl liner, Pentair ¾ HP Whisperflo on 24/7, Pentair Cartridge Filter(CCP240), Heater (gas), Automatic Pool Cover

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Nope. Things are looking very, very good for you. Just wait. I wouldn't keep testing all day. Just wait till the sun is setting and test then. If CC is .5 or less, you are done! Then you have to let your FC keep coming down to your maintenance level.
    Carl

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Looking good. I agree with CarlD, don't add bleach and see if the CC is 0.5ppm or less this evening. If it's not, bring it back up to 30ppm. CC measures a lot of different chemicals most of which smell, taste, and feel bad. The time it's taken to make progress in your pool suggests that you've had some of the more complex combined chlorines that are harder to break down.

Well, yesterday evening FC=25, CC=1 (lost 2ppm all day, had 3 people in the pool).
    Added 1 jug of bleach @ 8:00, tested @ 10:00 pm FC=30 CC=1

This morning tested @ 7:00am FC=28 CC=1

It's a cloudy, rainy Labor Day here.

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Sounds like progress to me. 3 people in the pool with no increase in CC. Shame about the weather - maybe it will get better this afternoon.

It turned out the weather did get a bit sunny as the day went on. Hubby went in the pool again (at night): water felt squeaky clean (opposite of silky soft?),smell of CL but no bitter taste…still getting a slight black ring around the skimmer.

Yesterday: morning FC=28 went down to FC=26 by evening. CC=1 again.
    I added a jug of bleach and re-tested at 11:00pm FC=31 CC=1

This morning: tested @ 7:00am FC=29.5 CC=1.0

any day now…….

+ Reply to Thread