+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Clear, but no chlorine???

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Clear, but no chlorine???

Grosses me out, too!

My dad (RIP) used to have two signs on his pool:

"We don't swim in your toilet. Please don't pee in our pool!"

and

"This is our OOL. Notice there is no 'P' in it!"
    Carl

Always with the folksy asides, Carl, love it!

While awaiting your morning numbers, I have a silly question. You have mentioned vacuuming but I don't think you've ever mentioned brushing the sides. May I assume you are doing that? I am just trying to think of anything and everything!
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by FormerBromineUser View Post
    Always with the folksy asides, Carl, love it!
    Uh-oh! Am I in trouble again?
    Carl

mary jo is offline Subscriber Thread Analyst mary jo 0

So CarlD- think they still make those signs? (altho my very understated husband would freak if I put a sign up).

What trumps pee in the pool? Finding a dead critter, maybe. This morning I found a dead vole (I'm guessing) in the skimmer, gave a shriek, all the kids came running out and took pictures for instagram. "cool mom!"

Well, yesterday's FC numbers stayed constant all day w/ FC=30. CC went up and down (3 to 2 to 2.5 yo 3).

Yesterday evening @8:15 FC=30 CC=3 first time ever the cup of test water smelled like heavy chlorine….it was overcast all day.
    This morning tested @ 7:00 FC=30 (one test read 31- not sure how that is possible), and CC=2

oh-FBU: yes I brush the sides, feel them often for slickness. also have the kids and hubby do this while they are in the pool, but I haven't vacuumed since I started the shocking process. Is this something I should do now?
    15K gal, 15x30 rectangular, in-ground, vinyl liner, Pentair ¾ HP Whisperflo on 24/7, Pentair Cartridge Filter(CCP240), Heater (gas), Automatic Pool Cover

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Only need to vacuum if there's stuff to clean up. You should, however, brush floor and walls. How much bleach did you use yesterday?

I didn't add any bleach yesterday. The FC was 33 at 7am and went down to 30 in the afternoon and and stayed @ 30 all night.
    15K gal, 15x30 rectangular, in-ground, vinyl liner, Pentair ¾ HP Whisperflo on 24/7, Pentair Cartridge Filter(CCP240), Heater (gas), Automatic Pool Cover

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

It's good to hear that the chlorine demand has subsided. Now to get a few sunny days to clear the CC.

OK- so, as long as the pool is holding chlorine, the sunlight will lower the CC level? Sunlight lowers CC?

We are on the cusp of a severe thunderstorm with high winds, hail etc. No sun today unfortunately.

I should continue testing, right? If FC is at 30 now, at what number should I add more bleach?

Chlorine and sunlight sould work together to clear CC. But remember, we still don't know what caused the chlorine demand and the CC in the first place, so we're following a general rule and not working to remove a known contaminant.
    Yep, keep testing in the evening and morning - doesn't sound like there's any reason to test more often than that. Since each jug adds about 5ppm FC to your pool, add another jug when the FC gets to 28-30ppm.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by mary jo View Post
    What trumps pee in the pool? Finding a dead critter, maybe.
    How about finding a dead body in your pool! That's what trumps both pee and dead critters. A few years ago, one of the former moderators found that her neighbor had committed suicide in her pool.

Makes a little pee seem insignificant, doesn't it?

+ Reply to Thread