+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Clear, but no chlorine???

Default Re: Clear, but no chlorine???

BigDave: while you're calculating, is there any additional issue with her CH being so high (750)?
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

OK. So...
    To start shock, add 6 jugs 8.25% bleach to go from 0 FC to 30ppm FC.
    or
    To get through party first, add 3 jugs 8.25% bleach to go from 0 to 15ppm FC.

Each Jug will add a little over 5ppm FC.

I would add a half box of Borax.

Also:
    Sorry about that! Your first post said "15,000 SF rectangular" then I scanned for a volume and, apparently, found FormerBromineUser's volume - My Bad.

mary jo is offline Subscriber Thread Analyst mary jo 0

Oh- I forgot to respond earlier to this: When I tested for CH it turned purple (after about 40 drops) instead of blue, so I just kept adding drops until I saw blue (with small particles of purple swirling around). I looked this up in the Taylor booklet and it said this is caused by metals (copper?) in the water… btw: My city water is supplied by 3 city wells treated at a city water plant, and is characteristically HARD. Alot of homes have water softeners.
    15K gal, 15x30 rectangular, in-ground, vinyl liner, Pentair ¾ HP Whisperflo on 24/7, Pentair Cartridge Filter(CCP240), Heater (gas), Automatic Pool Cover

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Quote Originally Posted by FormerBromineUser View Post
    BigDave: while you're calculating, is there any additional issue with her CH being so high (750)?
    I asked if that could be testing error

@mary jo: Did you retest CH? Perhaps you should add a Tablespoon of Borax to test bucket to see if it clouds before putting it in the pool. Put something dark in bucket - you may not be able to see a cloud in a white bucket.

Quote Originally Posted by mary jo View Post
    ... this is caused by metals (copper?) in the water ...
    Maybe it would be safer to add a half cup of bleach to the test bucket to be sure we can't force the metals out.

BigDave: My daughter thanks you (as do I)!!!! I will do as advised.

oh- Why am I super diligent (crazy) about keeping the pool covered- especially at night????
    Main reason I got a pool was for my youngest (I have 4) who has special needs. Also the main reason I paid big bucks to get an automatic pool cover. He loves water but can be impulsive and loves to get up early (4:30am) and get into trouble. Twice during pool construction (during excavation) he ran out and attempted to jump into the hole from our deck.

But I read about the chemical build-up that occurs during shocking so I will be extra careful in keeping him away from the open water, and keep the cover open until this chlorine issue is resolved.
    thanks again.
    15K gal, 15x30 rectangular, in-ground, vinyl liner, Pentair ¾ HP Whisperflo on 24/7, Pentair Cartridge Filter(CCP240), Heater (gas), Automatic Pool Cover

With that safety issue, I would keep it closed and deal with the consequences. If there's damage, it's only money.

funny- that's what my husband always says….
    I'm a night owl so I can keep the cover open til about 2am, then close until morning.
    i have the test bucket with pool water & 1/2 cup bleach in it. Will let you know tomorrow what happens.
    thanks

You have a VERY important reason to keep your cover closed at night. There are other advantages too.

I almost always keep my cover closed at night: It helps keep in heat and that has been a real advantage with the cool weather this year! It helps keep critters from finding the pool at night; I never find dead toads, chipmunks, voles, etc. unless I leave it open. If a storm comes up at night, windblown debris stays out. (I rarely have to vacuum because I also close it during the day if there's any type of strong wind).

I leave it open: If my water level is low and it is going to rain with little to no wind. If the pool water temperature gets high and I need to cool it off. If I have to go to shock level. I also left it open while I was lowering my TA and aerating with my fountains.

Good luck with your pool and the party!
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

Good Morning; I wanted to touch base and let you know how it was going, in case I'm was off base or spinning my wheels. Here's where I'm at: SATURDAY evening added 3 jugs of bleach, by next morning @ 7:50am and got CL=.5, CC=1.0
    Here's my log:
    SUNDAY:
    8am added 3 jugs
    test @ 9am CL=18 CC=1

test @ 12 noon CL=5.5 CC=1
    added 2 jugs

test @ 2:30 CL=9.5 CC=.5
    added 1 jug

test @ 5:30 CL=7.5 CC=.5
    added 3 jugs

test @ 8:30 CL=13 CC=.5
    added 1 jug

test @ 11:50 CL=10.5 CC=.5
    added 3 jugs

MONDAY:
    test @ 7am CL=10 CC=.5
    added 1 jug

test @ 9am CL=12.5 CC=0
    added 1 jug

SO- it seems Saturday the pool was steadily losing approx 2.5 ppm CL/hour, right? Today its losing less, but still early in the day (a rainy one at that). Is that how it's supposed to go? Am I on the right track?
    Last edited by mary jo; 08-11-2014 at 10:36 AM.

+ Reply to Thread