+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Clear, but no chlorine???

mary jo is offline Subscriber Thread Analyst mary jo 0

Default Re: Clear, but no chlorine???

Thanks FormerBromineUser! I've now read enough posts that I think I should invest in a lot of bleach! I would go ahead and add some tonight just to see what would happen but I'm not sure about how long I'd have to wait until I could close the automatic cover.- which I do every night. I hope this issue gets resolved by next Tuesday- my daughter has planned one last pool party for the season. Fingers crossed!
    15K gal, 15x30 rectangular, in-ground, vinyl liner, Pentair ¾ HP Whisperflo on 24/7, Pentair Cartridge Filter(CCP240), Heater (gas), Automatic Pool Cover

Yup! No tabs, and lots (and lots) of bleach to bring your FC to >10% of that high CYA.

I have an auto-cover too, and if I have to add more than a quart of 12.5%, I usually wait 1 hour before I close the cover. The bleach just needs to circulate and dilute. So if you're still awake tonight, GO FOR IT!

I am not 100% positive on the following because your CYA is so high, but the auto-cover MAY be your pal in this situation. The auto-cover normally needs to be open only a minimum of 1-2 hours a day to get UV benefits. Keeping it closed more during the day will help you retain some of your chlorine. (Hope the experts chime in here if high CYA is a special situation....)

When you have time on your hands, I also suggest you read about the Nature 2 system and the "minerals" it adds to your water. Just a thought.
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Thanks for demonstrating that you don't have really high chlorine.

Here's what I think is going on in your pool:
    Use of trichlor for primary sanitization has built a very high CYA level (you already know this).
    You have kept chlorine level low compared to CYA as recommend by the "mineral system" vendor.
    The metal ions (copper and silver, I bet) have helped keep the water clear as the active chlorine level (ratio of chlorine to CYA - not measured chlorine level) fell.
    The chlorine / CYA ratio has gotten to the point where there's not enough active chlorine to keep the pool clean despite the presence of metal ions.
    Algae (not yet visible) is starting to grow creating the chlorine demand you are experiencing.
    The powdered chlorine products you've applied haven't reached a chlorine level effective to kill off the nascent algae.

The simple recommendation is to shock the pool to 30ppm FC but there's a catch. The metal that I believe is in solution in your pool may stain the pool when chlorine is raised. You can test this with a clean, white, 5 gallon bucket. Fill it with about 4 gallons of pool water and add a tablespoon of bleach. Give it a stir and wait a day or so to see if it stains. If it does stain and you want to avoid stains in the pool, post the bucket result here and we'll work out a plan.

If there's no stain or you don't care about staining the pool, you'll need about 10 jubs of 8.25% bleach to get to the 30ppm FC shock level and then you'll need to keep it there until you lose less than 1 ppm FC overnight, you have 0 or nearly 0 CC and the pool is clear. Run the pump 24x7 while shocking. Leave the pool cover open if you can - some of the byproducts produced while shoking the pool may damage the cover.

Phosphate remover is expected to cloud the pool - clean the filter. I'm a little concerned about a hardness reading of 750. Are you sure this test was done correctly?

Hi Big Dave- THANK YOU for an explanation that makes sense. The only caveat is that ( and I'm being honest here) I forgot about the mineral sanitizer until I looked through my pool papers, so I have not ever changed the cartridge in 2 1/2 seasons of use. So I wonder if it's still doing anything.

Staining wouldn't be good, but I wondered if I could do a stain test while adding the bleach at intervals. I'm assuming you don't add 6 jugs at once?
    Oh- last night at around 10:00 I went ahead and did add 1 jug of bleach, very very slowly to see what would happen. 2 hours later I tested the water, then closed the cover.

Last nights results (around midnight): FC=3.5. CC=1.0
    This morning I opens the pool around 10:00 and tested again: FC=1.0. CC=.5

I will start my test bucket, and wait for more info on how much bleach to add.
    Thank you !!!
    15K gal, 15x30 rectangular, in-ground, vinyl liner, Pentair ¾ HP Whisperflo on 24/7, Pentair Cartridge Filter(CCP240), Heater (gas), Automatic Pool Cover

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

I'm glad to hear that the "mineral" cartridge hasn't been replaced - those things kinda make me angry because they're sold on false promises.

Do the bucket test and let us know what you find in it.

Do be sure to keep chlorine in the pool - it will be much harder to clean up a full fledged algae bloom.

Good Morning! I just checked the bucket of test water and the bucket is white- no staining at all. I added 1 jug of bleach to my pool yesterday morning, and 1 last evening and this morning the FC=0, CC=1, pH=7.2
    What do you suggest now?
    Last edited by mary jo; 08-09-2014 at 11:16 AM.

I recommend that you bring the FC to shock level. At CYA 150ppm, 20% shock level is 30ppm FC. In 26K gallons it'll take 10 jugs (not jubs ) of 8.25% to get there from FC 0ppm. All at once. Pour the bleach around the pool so it's not concentrated in one place.

Keep the filter running 24/7. Keep FC at 30ppm until you lose less than 1 ppm FC overnight, you have 0 or nearly 0 CC and the pool is clear. Run the pump 24x7 while shocking. Leave the pool cover open if you can - some of the byproducts produced while shocking the pool may damage the cover.

OK- bought 12 jugs of bleach this morning. I have 15,000 gallon pool. Should I wait until tonight (after sundown)? Also- how exactly do I test for FC of 30- dilute a pool water sample like I did for the CYA test?

I just re-read about the Tuesday pool party - perhaps you should wait until after the party to shock. In that case, pour 5 jugs 8.25% and be ready to add more. Test FC/CC twice daily (early morning and evening). Add bleach as needed to keep FC at 15. If it drops below 8, test / dose more often. FYI each jug of 8.25% bleach will add about 3ppm FC to your pool.

Don't add any more tabs to chlorinator.

I just noticed that you pH is a little low - Add a box of Borax (20-Mule Team - laundry aid). You won't get accurate pH readings while FC > 10.

Keep us posted.

P.S. Why do you cover the pool at night?

OOPS! I thought you said pool was 26K gallons - 15K is different.
    I'll post again in a minute.

+ Reply to Thread