Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: New User Getting Butt Kicked By Algae

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: New User Getting Butt Kicked By Algae

That's a lot of CYA! But, it will keep from one season to the next. For reference, in a 30K gallon pool, it will take approximately 2-1/2 lbs to add 10ppm of CYA. Go slow with adding it so you don't overshoot your target.

You can add it a couple of ways.
    1) Add it slowly to the skimmer while the pump is running and then keep your pump running 24/7 for the next 4-5 days and don't backwash or retest CYA for a week to make sure it is all dissolved.
    2) Put it in an old sock and hang it in front of a return jet. Give the sock a squeeze every now and then to help it dissolve faster. Again, don't retest CYA for about a week.

Better to give it time so you can be sure it is all dissolved and registering on your test before deciding to add more.

The price for the conditioner was quite a bit better with the larger quantity. I hope it lasts a couple years, too!

I'm going to add close to 4lbs (today, if the container arrives on time) and hope it will at least get my CYA to a measurable level (30ppm). I've had the 1" tri-chlor tabs in my floater, so I'd like to think there's a little CYA lurking in the pool, and 4 lbs gets me to 30 or at least something I can measure.

It sounds like the cyanuric takes awhile to dissolve, which isn't exactly music to my ears since I will probably need to add sanitizer in another few days. I'd hoped to have a good (accurate) CYA number BEFORE the di-chlor effected it. I'm going to do the "sock in skimmer" method with the cyanuric, since my jets are at the bottom of the pool and I don't think I can rig a hanging method in front of one. I hope the cyanuric dissolves as quick as possible via sock/skimmer.

Thanks for all your help, WM!!!

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Good to go slow. 4 lbs. should add an additional 17ish ppm of CYA.

And, you are welcome! Glad to be able to help.

Update: Pool has been looking good! No signs of algae Surprisingly, I still haven't had to add di-chlor since super-chlorinating over 2 weeks ago. I do still have 1" tabs of tri-chlor in the floater.

Today's readings:

FC = 6.6
    CC = 0.5
    pH = 7.2
    TA = 170
    CH = 210
    CYA = 40

I may get some more Borax to increase the pH a little. Do I need to worry about my high TA level? The Taylor book recommends roughly 4 gallons of muriatic to decrease it by 60ppm, which would drop my TA somewhere around 110. I could also use dry acid, but I don't want to increase my CYA now that I have it where I want it.

What do you pro's do to drop TA without raising CYA (and hopefully not mess with pH)??

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

If your pH is holding and is stable, you can raise pH without raising T/A by aeration, rather than adding anything, including Borax. Since your CH is near the bottom of the range, but still in it, I personally would not want to mess with it by adding acid.

IF you decide to try to lower T/A I STILL wouldn't use Borax. Raise pH, again, using aeration (splashing, sprayer, pointing the return at the surface). Then add acid to lower pH, no lower than 7.2. T/A should come down with it. Then aerate some more to raise pH without raising T/A. Keep doing this till the T/A is under 125.
    Carl

I've read your suggestions about aeration raising pH, but my return jets (2) are in the bottom of the shallow end (on wall, right along the bottom) and they do not have nozzles. They are open holes. There used to be plates over them, but the fixture they screwed into had rusted out. I don't know when this pool was built... but it's old! I can't imagine utilizing the returns for anything that might promote aeration. Kids would be my best weapon, but the pH seems to be holding steady at 7.2 these last couple weeks. I'm not sure they are helping (or swimming!) enough, so if you have any alternative methods of creating aeration... I'm all ears. I will try to think of something as well. Thanks, Carl.

Can you screw anything into those returns? Maybe make a contraption out of PVC that screws in, has a 90 degree angle and shoots water out at the top of the water surface or something like that?

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Perhaps a submersible pump with an outlet hose above the water or maybe even a shower head?

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Here are 2 examples of a simple, inexpensive sprayer that makes aeration easy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/111389606954?lpid=82

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Wonder-I...p2054897.l5660

I have something similar but I haven't had to use it in years. I think I paid $20 for it.
    Carl