+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Test Results are in :(((

Default Re: Test Results are in :(((

Thanks for the heads up on required CH levels

Yesterday we had a rain storm (yes it rains in Southern Arizona) and shocked the pool using 1 lb HTH Super I had at home. It is about 56.44 percent Cal Hypo according to the label.

The test results I did this morning, using K2006 are as follows ;

FC 3.8 ppm (up from 1.2 ppm)
    CC 0.2 ppm ( more like 0.1 ppm)
    pH 7.8 (same as before)
    TA 120 ppm (no change)
    CH 110 ppm (no change)
    CYA not tested as I am using TriChlor tablets (3 at a time in a floater, started 2 days ago) will be tested in a month or so

Theoretically 1.25 lb of this product shoul raise my CH by 0.1 ppm but I have used 1 lb and the strong rain I guess are the reasons CH didn't rise. We'll at least it didn't go down either.

So my plan for today is to go out and buy about 10 lbs of Cal Hypo and use it at the rate of 1 lb a day every night until I reach at least 200 ppm of CA. By this way we can still use the pool if I can keep FC around 3-4 ppm

1) Is this a sound plan or will it be better if I use say about 8 lbs of Cal Hypo at once and restrict pool usage until FC returns to normal. I am guessing this will push the FC levels up, could this be damaging to the pool ?

2) if I can't find 60 percent Cal Hypo is it OK to use 56.44 percent material? Or should I order stronger Cal Hypo online.

Thanks very much

Matt
    11,000 gal inground freshwater concrete pool & SPA, PebbleTec, Clean and Clear+ 3200, 1hp motor, last Drain & Fill 8/10/2014. Trying BBB method.

Regarding hardness of my makeup water

I have checked our water authority's web site it says it is 110 ppm which is consistent with my results. So I definitely need to raise the CH levels
    11,000 gal inground freshwater concrete pool & SPA, PebbleTec, Clean and Clear+ 3200, 1hp motor, last Drain & Fill 8/10/2014. Trying BBB method.

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

If you keep the pH on the high end (7.8), you should be able to chlorinate with cal-hypo until you reach your calcium goal. It will take a while. Each pound of 53% cal-hypo should raise your FC by a little less than 6 and raise the CH by 4. Don't dump 8lbs all in at once, use it as your primary source of chlorine until you reach your CH goal. By my figuring, you'll need to use up more like 30lbs of 53% cal-hypo to get above 200ppm.

Thanks for reply

I am using HTH shock for the time being 56% CalHypo but also ordered 24 lbs Doheny's pool shock 66 % CalHypo. Once I receive it I'll use that product and will report the results.

I'm also having bubbles in the return do you know of a good product to reseal the connections without taking them apart? I wrapped shopping bag and it seemed to slow it

I bought Rectorseal's Tplus2 from HD would that work or what product should be used ? Would appreciate suggestions

Thanks
    Matt

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

I'm a bit confused about the bubbles. You think you have a leak in the suction side that's bringing air into the pump and filter? Those are hard to find. I've read about people having success finding suction leaks by smearing shaving on the fitting and looking for it to get sucked in. One poster here this year stopped a leak with shaving cream - go figure. if you know a threaded fitting is leaking and you don't want to open it, you could try smearing some non-hardening PVC compatible thread seal on the end you can reach.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Air could getting in at numerous places, such as a badly sealing pump basket cover, or a leaking multivalve, along with places along the drain lines.
    Carl

I'm in the process of replacing strainer cover o ring, filter o ring and the filter drain plug o ring, I also suspect one jandy valve so I'll replace it's o rings as we'll. also thanks for the shaving foam trick, I'll definitely give it a try.

Can you give me a few examples (commercial names) for the non hardening PVC compatible seal, local guys at HD are not very, you know, and there are so many different types of caulk.

Looks like I have a nice project for the weekend

Will report once prints are replaced

Thanks
    Matt

Oatey Great Blue pipe thread sealant is one I've used. I believe many people like a Rectorseal product but I haven't used it.

Thanks very much for the sealant brand

Meanwhile after replacing the o-rings especially the Jandy valve o-ring it looks like the air problem is solved. I also need to replace the 6 way valve for the pop ups, ordered one online already.

Now back to shocking to pool to bring the hardness up. By the way HTH shock is leaving a residue making the pool cloudy I'll start running the pump overnight, hope it clears

Thanks
    Matt

You don't need to shock the pool. Just use the Cal-hypo for regular chlorination until you reach CH goal.
    What kind of filter do you have?

+ Reply to Thread