+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need advice in regards to thickness of foam flooring

DennisP is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst DennisP 0

Default Need advice in regards to thickness of foam flooring

Well, since it is almost time to put the pool up I have one last item to decide on and that is the foam flooring.

I have decided on using EPS foam vs XPS primarily on price, but also because the EPS has just about the same crush rating that the locally available XPS would have (14psi vs 15psi) with only a R-value diffential of 1.6 (5.9 vs 7.5) which, to me anyways, means that to spend over twice the amount on the XPS would be foolish ($9 vs $21 for a 4x8 sheet of each)...

Now, the big question comes down to the thickness I should buy. In reading some pool installation instructions it doesn't really specify a difference between sand or foam flooring. Some instructions don't even mention foam. The most descriptive instruction I found that gives specifics about foam floors was Aqualeader instructions, and they specify a 2" sand floor or a 1.5" foam floor.

Now, I have read about others using as thin as 3/4" foam flooring, and since I have crushed limestone as my base (at least 4-6" of it) I am not concerned about any sort of "grow through" and there are no trees to worry about roots.

I am using a beaded liner with bead receivers on a 54" wall pool, not sure that changes anything (I know I don't have the adjustability of an overlap liner), but what kind of thickness should I shoot for?

If I put in a 1.5" thick floor, with the beaded liner, do I run a risk of the liner not pulling tight?

If I put in a 3/4" thick floor do I run the risk of it pulling out of the bead receiver?

Sorry, lots of questions in regards to getting this "right".

Default Re: Need advice in regards to thickness of foam flooring

Hi Dennis, Dennis here. For your purpose the cheaper of the two would be fine. I agree with the instructions you found, 2" of sand or 1 1/2" foam. 1" works if you have a smooth hard packed sand base to install it over. In your situation the 1 1/2" will be perfect.

1/2" should not make much difference in liner fit, you should be just fine not having a 2" base. I would much prefer to have the liner a little snug than have too much liner.

I spent a whole summer installing 48" beaded liners into 52" wall pools simply because they fit better. The hot Arizona sun is very nice for getting a little stretch out of a vinyl liner. Make use of some overhead sunshine and the whole job becomes easier.

A beaded liner installed correctly in the bead should not pull out, especially with the help of a little sunshine.

Later, Dennis
    AG pool installer
    Arizona

DennisP is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst DennisP 0

Default Re: Need advice in regards to thickness of foam flooring

Thank you sir!

That was exactly the kind of info I was looking for...

After being delayed almost a month and a half from my original timetable to get this yard project done I just want everything to go as smoothly as possible...

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

+ Reply to Thread