+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Will a Krystal Clear Sand Pump and Saltwater System work for my pool?

Default Will a Krystal Clear Sand Pump and Saltwater System work for my pool?

We just purchased a ProSeries 14' x 42" metal frame above ground pool - http://www.walmart.com/ip/ProSeries-...e-Kit/33154209

And ordered an Intex Krystal Clear Sand Pump and Saltwater System - http://www.academy.com/shop/Product_...51_521458_-1__

Will this combination work? If so, what adapters am I going to need? I would prefer not having to do any cutting to make this work. I have also read that some pools will rust with the salt water, is that going to be an issue with the pool I have? I can't find anything specific on it.

I appreciate any helpful information!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Will a Krystal Clear Sand Pump and Saltwater System work for my pool?

The problem is not whether the Intex system will function; the problem is whether you can connect it successfully. I think some of the newer models may come with parts that will allow you to adapt the system, but I'm not sure.

Since you've already ordered the system, you might as well wait till it arrives, and can see what it will take to hook it up.

Default Re: Will a Krystal Clear Sand Pump and Saltwater System work for my pool?

I don't plan to do any modifications to the pool so I was hoping to order additional parts now so we weren't out pool time. After doing some research I believe I have found the adapters I may need but it would be great if they were included and I didn't have to purchase separately. I'll give Intex a call and see what all comes with the pump. Thanks for your input!

Pappy is offline PF Supporter Widget Weaver Pappy 0

Here's a thread where an Intex system was adapted to a Summer Escapes pool.
    http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...ilter-amp-pump

I'm pretty sure all Intex SWCGs include a copper ionizer. Copper can stain pools and turn light hair green. It is effective against algae, but not so much with bacteria. If you keep enough chlorine in the pool to prevent bacteria, that's usually enough to prevent algae. Soooo, you might want to see if you can safely disable the copper ionizer.

Good luck!

Pappy
    Intex 15ftx4ft 4500 gal. 3/4 HP Pentair WhisperFlo pump. Hayward 21" sand filter. Taylor K-2006 & K-1106 kits. PF=27

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Thanks, Pappy.

After doing some research I believe I have found the adapters I may need
    Please post info on what you found . . . and how it works.

This is a topic many are interested in, but about which there's not lots of good info.

Quote Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
    Here's a thread where an Intex system was adapted to a Summer Escapes pool.
    http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...ilter-amp-pump

I'm pretty sure all Intex SWCGs include a copper ionizer. Copper can stain pools and turn light hair green. It is effective against algae, but not so much with bacteria. If you keep enough chlorine in the pool to prevent bacteria, that's usually enough to prevent algae. Soooo, you might want to see if you can safely disable the copper ionizer.

Good luck!

Pappy

How do I determine if it has a copper ionizer? And what exactly does it do? This is all new to me.

This is the first I've heard

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

I think all the Intex SWCGs have a copper electrode. Like Pappy mentioned above, copper can inhibit algae but it does not kill bacteria, etc. It also stains things and we've all seen people with blonde hair that turned green after swimming in a pool, right? Most people think it is chlorine that causes this but it is not, it is copper that does it.

Quote Originally Posted by Watermom View Post
    I think all the Intex SWCGs have a copper electrode. Like Pappy mentioned above, copper can inhibit algae but it does not kill bacteria, etc. It also stains things and we've all seen people with blonde hair that turned green after swimming in a pool, right? Most people think it is chlorine that causes this but it is not, it is copper that does it.
    Is there a saltwater system that doesn't have copper? How do I figure out whether the one I ordered does? I don't want any issues with green hair or bacteria in the pool.

Pappy is offline PF Supporter Widget Weaver Pappy 0

Read the manual to the SWCG. It will have a parts diagram. If it shows a copper electrode, see if you can SAFELY unhook the wires inside the control box. MAKE SURE the unit is UNPLUGGED before opening the control unit or attempting to disconnect the copper electrode.

Pappy
    Intex 15ftx4ft 4500 gal. 3/4 HP Pentair WhisperFlo pump. Hayward 21" sand filter. Taylor K-2006 & K-1106 kits. PF=27

+ Reply to Thread