+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Thread: Iron in water source

Default Re: Iron in water source

Any updates?
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

Pool looks like first pic, BLUE. Used flocculent and vacuumed to waste Fri. & Sat. Fill water now softened. Cleared Fri. and sparkling by Sun. Labor Day at the pool planned as supposed to be 93 here today. Old bathing suits as running FC > 5, < 10 with CC 0.4. Phosphate testing kit should arrive tomorrow. I will post level.
    Thanks again for your support!
    22,000 gal. 30' round IG, vinyl liner, sand filter, 1 HP pump, BBB method
    Taylor K2006c & K1000

The pool remains blue and clear. Did use flocculent again and vacuumed to waste. Very little, but some, algae fell out and was vacuumed out of pool.
    Phosphate kit arrived, > 1000 ppb in the pool. Ground water must also have phosphates as "softened well water" also has > 1000 ppb. Plan to control algae with FC for the remainder of the month as I am reluctant to cloud pool with treatment since we can finally use the pool. Seems like it will be a vicious cycle with the source water as it is.
    Taylor K2006c & K1000

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Try using very small doses of the phosphate remover, added at night. Make sure the pump is running. In at least some cases, the pool will clear fully overnight. If you use a small dose, even if this doesn't happen there won't be enough cloudiness to be an issue.

Caution: phosphate remover should ONLY be added when the filter is clean enough to allow the pool to operate for 3 - 4 days without cleaning the filter. Otherwise, you'll likely lose some of the phosphate remover uselessly.

See you on-line. Any updates?
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

Closed and covered pool last week-end. Water was crystal clear. I spent a couple weeks getting the phosphates out before I covered it. Looking forward to an easier season next year. Thanks for all the assistance.
    Taylor K2006c & K1000

You had a tough go this year. Congrats on closing clear! Open early and let us know how it goes!

PoolDoc:
    This is my second year of having to do the ascorbic acid treatment. Works like a charm. I stayed stain free until late August last year--Im sure its my well water doing me in.

My question is-can I use the calcium hypochlorite tabs with my DE filter? I'd like to try and get the iron out of the water. I do use the Culator pack in the skimmer.

Thanks for your time.

Tony
    Quote Originally Posted by PoolDoc View Post
    CuLator units work . . . very slowly and ONLY on dissolved iron. If it's orange, or in a stain, the CuLator has no effect.

Use the methods above, but order these:
    CCH Calcium Hypochlorite Tablets 50 lb bucket

You can use cal hypo tabs like these in the skimmer -- ONLY in the skimmer -- to remove iron and place it on the calcium residue from the cal hypo, which is then trapped by the filter.

Chemically, what's happening when you use these correctly is pretty complicated, but practically speaking, it's very, very simple. Let me know when you have them, and I'll walk you through it.

Hey! Your question is very specialized and belongs in it's own thread.

Unfortunately, PoolDoc is the Guru on this issue and is away from the forum right now.

I suggest that you start a new thread. Click "Post New Thread" here: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/forumdi...erals-amp-Ions

+ Reply to Thread