+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Iron in water source

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Iron in water source

What he said . . .

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

As I've gone back and read this thread two things pop out at me:
    1) Ben said bring pH down to 7.0 yet BD and FBU kept insisting it should be between 7.8 and 8.0 so it precipitates. Yet I thought the point of the cal-hypo was to get the dissolved metal to stick to the calcium and be captured in the filter. I'm confused by this.
    2) It's no surprise that when you use large amounts of Polyquat your FC drops like a stone. A quart in a roughly 20k pool will drop FC from shock levels to very low levels, 1-2ppm in 48 hours. It's always something to be aware of.

BTW, that's the "ugly" green of algae, not the "pretty" green of metals.

Ben, Lisa recently found the old thread of a couple who invented a filter gadget that does the same thing as the auxiliary Intex pool....a filter system of lots of quilting batting that sucked the metal right up! I THINK it was using a five gallon bucket with a lid, a submersible pump and some hose.
    Carl

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

@CarlD: I'm pretty sure that dropping the pH is for starting the metal removal process and get and precipitated metals into solution. Next step is holding them in solution with HEDP. Then remove metals with CuLater or using cal-hypo in the skimmer to encourage metals to come out on the filter by creating a high chlorine / high pH zone before he filter.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    @CarlD: I'm pretty sure that dropping the pH is for starting the metal removal process and get and precipitated metals into solution. Next step is holding them in solution with HEDP. Then remove metals with CuLater or using cal-hypo in the skimmer to encourage metals to come out on the filter by creating a high chlorine / high pH zone before he filter.
    That's what I thought, but I thought the high FC/pH was to be local to the skimmer, not the whole pool.
    Carl

During the process actually backwashed a total of 4 times that produced what looked like rust. Pool was improving then turned dense green. Did not think algae with the high FC and polquat. Did notice a pH drop day after using polyquat-just brought it back up with cal-hypo. Today
    pH 7.6
    FC 14
    Still green, maybe a little less dense. Placed a Culator in trap in case residual Fe.
    22,000 gal. 30' round IG, vinyl liner, sand filter, 1 HP pump, BBB method
    Taylor K2006c & K1000

Polyquat isn't acidic, as far as I know. It WILL drop FC. However, if FC is very high, it causes a false high pH reading--we warn against this all the time. When Polyquat brought the FC far down, the apparent lowering of pH would simple be a true reading.
    Carl

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

I didn't go back and re-read, so I'm not sure what I said.

But normally, you'd want to manage metal removal by STARTING at low pH, with HEDP present, and then gradually allowing pH to move upwards as cal hypo is used.

The goal is to FIRST get the metal dissolved (Vit. C with no chlorine), SECOND to keep it dissolved (low pH + HEDP), and then THIRD to gradually remove it on the filter, while avoiding sudden changes in pH or FC that could re-stain the pool (gradually increasing pH & FC + cal hypo upstream of the filter).

When Stcohen's pH reached 8, I encouraged him to lower it a tad to "no higher than 7.8". I sincerely hope I was correct on that.

Water described as green but not opaque, then "unchanged" over several days. However, his FC did drop at least once to 1.0.

What were results of sand test, Stcohen?
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

pH 7.4
    FC 15.5
    CC 0.5
    Did not test sand, reluctant to get into filter

Taylor K2006c & K1000

Taylor K2006c & K1000

+ Reply to Thread