Default Re: Iron in water source

Returned home. today
    FC 5
    CC 0.5
    pH 7.4
    TA 60
    Ca hardness 130
    CYA 50
    Water appears green, not opaque, sediment on bottom, less than when I started this. Placed 1 cal-hypo in each skimmer. Plan to try a vacuum what sediment I can to waste this afternoon and backwash filter. Will adjust pH down after that if necessary.
    22,000 gal. 30' round IG, vinyl liner, sand filter, 1 HP pump, BBB method
    Taylor K2006c & K1000

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Orange sediment on bottom?

Yes
    Taylor K2006c & K1000

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Is the filter pressure rising? Are the returns getting weak or is there poor skimmer action? Do you have a 2 speed pump?
    It seems clear that the chlorine / raising pH is making the iron come out but it's not settling on the filter as we'd hoped.

Pressure not really increasing. Returns are strong,1 speed pump (1HP). Had sand in filter changed (200 lb., I think) when I had liner placed
    Agree with your assessment, filter does not seem to be capturing much iron.
    Taylor K2006c & K1000

Are you only adding 1 cal-hypo tab per skimmer per day or the half pound max recommended by PoolDoc?
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

I'd let the filter go without backwash until the pressure is about 8lbs over clean. The dirtier the filter, the finer debris it will remove. Try to vacuum to the filter and see if the orange stays in. We already know it catches the calcium precipitate. I also think you can let the pH continue to float up to 8. PoolDoc may correct me when he returns but I'm pretty sure that's the plan.

BigDave is right! Make that filter work. Also, you may consider adding DE to your filter via skimmer. (See sticky). We will all be joyous when PoolDoc returns in full! Also still wondering about cal-hypo dosage.
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

AM:
    Have backed off to 1 tab per skimmer per day. Will vacuum to filter this morning and see if it will catch and hold the sediment. I really do appreciate your help

PM:
    pH 8.0, Vacuumed to filter. Basically captured nothing, returns basically putting what I vacuumed back into pool. No change in pressure and returns remain strong. Getting pretty frustrated.

Last edited by PoolDoc; 08-22-2014 at 02:02 PM. Reason: merge sequential posts
    Taylor K2006c & K1000

BigDave: I am thinking that there was not enough calcium on the filter media to catch the sediment. He is only using 1 tab cal-hypo and has been doing a lot of back-washing. What do you think?
    BTW, here is a link to adding DE: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...to-sand-filter

+ Reply to Thread