+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Iron in water source

Default Re: Iron in water source

Good for you! BTW, PoolDoc's Dad passed yesterday so you might not hear from him directly for a while. Let us know if you need help! Sounds like you are on the right track although I am a bit surprised that your backwash discharge is just white. White from Calcium but I think it would have an orange-ish tint from the iron. What color is your water now?
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

I saw PoolDoc's post. Good looking family. I'm sorry for his loss, losing a parent is never easy.
    Pool water is clear with a greenish tint. Still a significant amount of "rust" colored sediment on bottom.
    22,000 gal. 30' round IG, vinyl liner, sand filter, 1 HP pump, BBB method
    Taylor K2006c & K1000

F/U
    Had to correct pH again this morning. Sediment seems to go back into solution with lowering the pH and water now green.
    Adequate HEPD?
    Taylor K2006c & K1000

Hey. I am not an expert here (for sure!). I have been a pool owner/operator for many years so there are some things I know pretty well. However, I am new to the BBB method so there are tons of things I don't know very well. BUT I want to keep a conversation going in the hopes of attracting a moderator/expert, so let's keep talking.

Are you continuing with the cal-hypo/backwashing and the 1 cup Polyquat every other day too?

-HEDP is yucky stuff and it stays in the water for a while. I would hesitate to add more only because the purpose behind using it IS to get metals in solution and it sounds like that is what's happening.

Quote Originally Posted by PoolDoc View Post
    You can use cal hypo tabs... in the skimmer -- ONLY in the skimmer -- to remove iron and place it on the calcium residue from the cal hypo, which is then trapped by the filter.
    As I understand it, the iron must be in solution for this to work. I used this same process with my iron-loaded new fill water and I am now metal-free!

I might suggest also that you go into "settings" and create a signature with your pool info. It helps the mods so they don't have to scroll back to see your pool specs.
    http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...ignature-line!
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

A couple things I've noticed in this thread.
    @FormerBromineUser: I think the HEDP is intended to keep the iron in solution.
    @stochen: I think the idea is to let the pH stay high and create a high pH / high chlorine zone in the skimmer so the iron comes out on the filter with the calcium. When you drop the pH, you might redissolve the iron that's in the filter. Perhaps drop it no lower than 7.8. Can you vacuum the orange stuff.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

BigDave: Glad you're here

Yes, the HEDP is to keep the iron in solution and it sounds like that's what stcohen is describing as happening.
    Do you think he needs to add more?

I saw Ben's references (quoted below) about chlorine.
    Clean the skimmer basket, then add 1 - 2 cal hypo tabs in to the skimmer... Don't add more than 1/2 pound per day.
    The problem you have is that adding chlorine to a pool full of iron tends to make staining inevitable. Ideally, you need to remove the iron BEFORE you begin chlorinating. BUT, you can't let the pool become a slime pit during this period.
    All I found about pH is below. I'm wondering about raising pH to 7.8...:
    ...adjust your pH to near 7.0 . . . but NOT lower.

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

I'm pretty sure bringing the pH down was to get and keep the iron in solution to start then use HEDP to try to keep it in solution.

I believe the mechanism for removing iron with cal-hypo is to let the cal-hypo raise the pH causing the iron to drop out on the filter with the calcium precipitate. I would backwash before dropping the pH. Did you do it that way already or did you backwash after dropping the pH?.

Yes, I am continuing with the cal-hypo/backwashing and the 1 cup Polyquat every other day. 3rd dose polyquat today.
    BigDave, that makes sense, I think I did it that way but I will make sure to backwash before dropping the pH again.
    Thanks,
    Taylor K2006c & K1000

I haven't seen a recent pH or chlorine reading. How are you with chlorine?

Is the water clear but green or opaque green?
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

This am pH 7.4, FC >5, water somewhat opaque green.
    Have to leave until Fri. am. Will of course keep filter running; backwash and retest on return.
    Taylor K2006c & K1000

+ Reply to Thread