+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The K2006 Decision

Default Re: The K2006 Decision

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
    I WAS an Intex owner...and have no regrets, having graduated to a bigger pool 12seasons ago. The K-2006 equivalent ( the old PS-232) was my life saver. Instead of wasting $20 on ammonia algaecide, $15 on clarifier, $15 on flocculent, $30 on a useless DPD test kit, and $10 on the useless "How To Tame The Pool Monster", plus bags of over-priced "shock", pH Up! (washing soda),Total Alkalinity Raiser(baking soda), and calcium, I could have bought the PS-232 or K-2006 sooner several times over!

BTW, building a level base for my Intex cost as much as the pool...and they were more expensive then!

Having no prior pool experience, I also spent a lot on unnecessary chemicals and ended up buying test kits piecemeal at a much higher cost than the k2006 kit as I slowly learned what I should be doing (over time I realized the pool store method wasn't working and I needed to learn how to test/maintain my pool myself......that's when I discovered this site). For example, I spent over $60 for the k1515 alone from the pool store (this is what they used to test CL) after being frustrated with trying to color match to get a CL reading (my red/green colorblindness is a handicap here).

I cannot over emphasize how important it is to buy a good test kit and learn how to use it. IMO, buying a pool without a good test kit is like buying a car without a steering wheel.
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

Quote Originally Posted by Big Splash View Post
    I think cost isn't the only resistance out there with the k-2006. For many, there's a bit of intimidating learning curve to overcome. What appeals to the secret mad scientists in some, doesn't for others.
    I was in this category when I first bought a pool. However, over time it became apparent that blindly following the pool store's advice just wasn't working. Learning how to test and take charge of pool maintenance myself armed with info from this site was the best thing I did as a pool owner. Not only am I saving a ton of money, but pool care is much easier. Now I spend much more time enjoying my pool rather than fighting it.
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

I think cost isn't the only resistance out there with the k-2006. For many, there's a bit of intimidating learning curve to overcome. What appeals to the secret mad scientists in some, doesn't for others.
    Yeah, the instructions are more intimidating than they need to be. Most of the tests are really simple, just Taylor's instructions are tough. Plus, very few if us bother with the acid demand and base demand tests at all!
    Carl

Pappy is offline PF Supporter Widget Weaver Pappy 0

I'm STILL an Intex owner. This is the third season. First year, we got the pool late in the season and still had to drain and refill more than once. Second year, water restrictions were imposed so no more drain and refill. We spent literally Hundreds of dollars on chemicals and countless hours FIGHTING with the pool ALL summer long. This year, we upgraded to a sand filter for about $150, found PoolSolutions.com, and started really CARING for our pool, instead of WORRYING about it. The K2006 has made it possible for us to get, and keep the pool sparkling all summer, and we started with a pool so green you couldn't see 12 inches into it. The cost of the kit has been recouped SEVERAL times in saved chemical expenses. The hours it has saved us are countless. I've spent less TIME on the pool so far this year than was spent the first month last summer. The advice here has been invaluable, and I'm extremely thankful for all the help, but I don't think I'd have been able to follow the advice I got without the proper tool - the Taylor K2006 Test Kit.

Once again, I'd like to offer a heartfelt "Thank You" to PoolDoc, WaterMom, and all the others who have helped us enjoy our pool this year.

Pappy
    Intex 15ftx4ft 4500 gal. 3/4 HP Pentair WhisperFlo pump. Hayward 21" sand filter. Taylor K-2006 & K-1106 kits. PF=27

Testing is like your pool GPS. It works because it first figures out where you are and then tells how far it is to get where you wanna be. The challenge is getting folks to see the value in that. Anyone can buy a map. Few people can figure where they are on it. Less people can create their own route. Still fewer will want to so on their own.

When someone asks for help, they are not just asking for what they need, they're asking for why they need it. All of our replies should start with this mind.

Steps off soapbox...
    19.5k gal, 16x32 vinyl liner, sand filter, 1hp single speed pump, K-2006 test kit. PF=6

When someone asks for help, they are not just asking for what they need, they're asking for why they need it.
    Excellent point!
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

You are correct, of course.

I'm not sure how to help that, except by making and posting some better videos.

But the bottom line remains: without accurate info, we often can't give genuinely useful advice.

+ Reply to Thread