+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The K2006 Decision

Default The K2006 Decision

Purchasing the K2006 is not a casual decision for those of us with limited funds. The cost forces us to make a significant, long-term commitment to the BBB method.

I have been following the “Need advice on cloudy Intex Pool (with added ...and I don’t want a K2006) thread. http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...-a-K2006/page2

I think it IS time that the moderators figure out how to deal with this issue. In perusing the forum, even I get frustrated by how often you try to help people who then ignore advice about the K2006.

I have noticed that people are often told to purchase the HTH 6-way test kit until they can order and receive the K2006. Just how critical is a several day delivery delay in most cases? I can understand EllenF’s reluctance to purchase both and I have a feeling that this happens fairly often or that people may get the impression that the 6-way is good enough. Perhaps this issue should be included in your discussion.

Good luck and best wishes.
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: The K2006 Decision

Thanks.

We're debating this right now. I've realized we've spent a lot of time this summer, trying to help people uselessly because we don't have enough info to give good advice.

The ugly fact is, being sympathetic to someone's pool problems doesn't mean we can actually help them.

At the risk of sounding harsh, if you can't afford to spend $50 on a good test kit, a must have tool for a pool owner IMO, then you can't afford a pool.

Frankly, I'm confused by the posts that say they can't afford, or don't want to spend the money on the K2006, but will waste much more than that buying whatever the pool store says they need and doesn't work or makes things worse.

I wish I had known about this site when I became a new pool owner. If I had bought the k2006 to start with instead of relying on store testing, and followed the advice here I would have saved a ton of money. Better late than never I guess.

The good folks here spend a great deal of time trying to help us pool owners (for FREE, unless you subscribe...not a requirement). I completely understand their frustration when the advice they give is ignored or mixed with advice from pool stores, then the poster complains that it's not working as expected.
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

I think a lot of the problem comes when people buy clearance pools -- like an 18' Intex Ultra I saw this weekend for $289 -- somewhat impulsively, and don't have ANY idea what the OTHER expenses are that come with pools.

I probably need to do a sticky on basic pool operating costs, too.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

I WAS an Intex owner...and have no regrets, having graduated to a bigger pool 12seasons ago. The K-2006 equivalent ( the old PS-232) was my life saver. Instead of wasting $20 on ammonia algaecide, $15 on clarifier, $15 on flocculent, $30 on a useless DPD test kit, and $10 on the useless "How To Tame The Pool Monster", plus bags of over-priced "shock", pH Up! (washing soda),Total Alkalinity Raiser(baking soda), and calcium, I could have bought the PS-232 or K-2006 sooner several times over!

BTW, building a level base for my Intex cost as much as the pool...and they were more expensive then!
    Carl

I hear you. I wasted many thousands of dollars over the years following pool store advice and I am SO grateful that I found this forum and all the kind and generous folk here. Saints all, even when frustration peeks through.

My initial reason for starting this thread was to query the frequent recommendation of the HTH 6-way. However, JimK's comment about being "confused" brought out another thought or two.

I remember my intense trepidation at the thought of purchasing the K2006 and using the BBB method. I was in the midst of a severe pool crisis which had me emotionally and economically exhausted. I was terrified of relying on a test kit that I had no idea how to use and cost $95 (bad timing on the price). The thought of trying one more thing was almost too much.

Also, as a new member, I read many posts with unresolved issues (I was not knowledgeable enough at the time to understand why...) and I was not convinced the forum would provide the support I knew I would need. How many new members have felt the same way?

In my case, patience prevailed on the forum, Ben and Richard mostly, assuring me that I was in good hands. I bought my freedom, the K2006.
    Last edited by FormerBromineUser; 08-03-2014 at 02:03 AM.
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

The reason for the recommendation of the HTH 6-way drop kit is that it is usually immediately and inexpensively available, and has a good pH, TA, CH and CYA test, as well as an OTO test that goes to 5 ppm instead if the usual 3. With steam-distilled water for dilution you can measure total chlorine levels fairly accurately up to 20-25 ppm. Using color descriptions you can measure/estimate higher levels. But you cannot get an FC or CC reading from it.

You can use any hammer to drive a nail. But if you plan on driving a lot of nails you'll want the best hammer you can find to hold up down the years. The K-2006 is the best "hammer".
    Carl

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by FormerBromineUser View Post
    My initial reason for starting this thread was to query the frequent recommendation of the HTH 6-way.
    I think the main reason we suggest the HTH 6-Way drops kit is because it has a CYA test in it. Many people come on the forum and have algae and want help to get it fixed NOW. But, unless we know what their CYA reading is, we have no idea how high they are going to need to take their chlorine to be effective. Without that critical piece of information, we can't give good advice. We either tell them a shock level that is too low to do anything or tell them a shock level that is too high which puts their liner at danger of being bleached out.

So, though Carl is right that the kit also contains other useful tests, it is the fact that it can give us a CYA level to work with that is the main reason we ask people to buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Watermom View Post
    it is the fact that it can give us a CYA level to work with that is the main reason we ask people to buy it.
    I would say there are 4 reasons:

1. Unlike the K2006, the HTH 6-way is available IMMEDIATELY (if it's available at all). This allows users to get started solving things immediately.

2. As WM said, it contains a fairly accurate CYA test.
    CYA values are (a) critical and (b) almost always BADLY measured by strips.

3. It contains an OTO kit, which allows rough estimates of chlorine levels above 10 ppm. This contrasts with DPD color match tests (max 5 ppm) or strips (max 10 ppm). If someone has algae, this is REALLY important since, as WM noted, we want to avoid bleaching liners if possible, but we have to get to FC = 20% of CYA or higher to kill algae!

4. When users don't have complicated problems, the HTH 6-way may be sufficient . . . and it's about 1/3 the cost of a K2006.

I think cost isn't the only resistance out there with the k-2006. For many, there's a bit of intimidating learning curve to overcome. What appeals to the secret mad scientists in some, doesn't for others.
    19.5k gal, 16x32 vinyl liner, sand filter, 1hp single speed pump, K-2006 test kit. PF=6

+ Reply to Thread