+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Manually Removed Iron from Pool

Smile Manually Removed Iron from Pool

Today is day nine since I filled my 15x36 Intex pool with well water. The water looked like strong iced tea after adding chlorine. The water itself has been crystal clear for a few days, but some residue/possible staining on the bottom is still visible.

I added some polyester quilt batting that I happened to have to both the inlet and outlet sides. I also placed a piece around the pump filter. I ran the pump 24 hr/day for the first five days or so and cleaned all filtering media a couple of times a day. Vacuumed the bottom a couple of times with more water from the well, filtering the water through a fine mesh vac strainer bag supplemented with polyfill. Then I wised up and skipped the hose from the well, and instead connected the vac hose directly into the hose going out to the pump. This was very effective. Don't have quite enough vac hose to reach the far side, but once I can vac the entire bottom a couple of times, I think we will be pretty much iron free. Of course, I will be adding additional well water to top off as needed, but I think my method will remove any new iron quickly.
    Intex Easy Set 15x36, purchased used 2014.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Manually Removed Iron from Pool

This rings a bell. I remember some similar, yet completely different gadget someone invented to do the same thing. I think it was in a 5 gallon bucket...Anyone else remember that?
    Carl

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

I do. I wonder if I can find it.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

I think I found the one we are both thinking of, Carl.

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...-Removing-Iron

26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

Great minds.....
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

That's it, Lisa! I KNEW someone had an equally brilliant solution a few years ago!
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread