+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New Pool Construction by Owner - Equipment help!

Default New Pool Construction by Owner - Equipment help!

Note: I also posted this question the newbies new post section, before I noticed there was a "subscriber section".

So I've decided to take on the fun (he said sarcastically) of building my new pool "by owner". I will be saving over $10K compared to builder's quotes, and most importantly, I will be able to place the pool exactly where I want it. Builders didn't want to go through zoning setback location adjustments that I needed. Additionally, I got the feeling builder's pushed certain equipments on their quote just because they get better deals from certain manufacturers, and not necessarily because it is best for my project. I feel comfortable dealing with contractors for the building stuff (excavation, rebar, plaster, etc), but have ZERO knowledge of the equipments.

POOL SPECS: Rather small 12.5' X 25' rectangle, with no spa. From what I've read so far, all I know is that I want a salt system and I will be using deck jets (4) was water features.

WHAT I NEED: If you were building this pool as your own from the ground up, PLEASE recommend equipments. If possible, keep in mind my size of pool so I know exactly which capacity to order and also mention briefly what purpose each equipment serves (newbie here). You can focus on the major components, as the plumbing contractor should be taking care of the very small standard plumbing fittings, etc. Also, any recommendations you may have with I welcome.

I will also be posting on other sections about other non-equipment related questions I have.

Thank you!
    Newbie building a 12.5 X 25 pool by owner.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: New Pool Construction by Owner - Equipment help!

1. Will the pool area be screened or not?

2. How will you use the pool (visual feature with little use vs 8 kids in the pool every AM, etc.)

3. Are you a meticulous maintainer of things (desk, car, house) or do you tend to be somewhat sloppy and erratic (like me!).

4. Will you be away from the pool for more than 2 - 3 days at a time?

5. Do you enjoy or hate cleaning & maintenance tasks (mowing, car washing, etc.)?

For general reference, check out a quick drawing I put together: http://imgur.com/WKCA2IJ

I am 30 years old, with a demanding job....so you find my answers to lean more towards the easy - self attending route - as long as I don't break the bank.

1. No screen

2. I want to use pool as both visual feature and for my two kids to play (years 1 and 3). I will have the occasion friends over, but nothing too crazy. Probably will use pool once or twice per week.

3. GREAT QUESTION, THANKS FOR BRINGING THIS UP. I am not a meticulous maintainer at all. If it were up to me I would like to have things as simple - self maintaining as possible. Notice, my budget is also limited so I need to keep VALUE in mind (best i can do for a decent price)

4. Yes, sometimes I can go a full 5-7 days without even stepping out on the patio.

5. Let's put it this way, I sold my boat because I hated washing it.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

OK.

Then generally speaking, I'd recommend the following:
    + Hayward 3/4 HP 2 speed pump running 24/7 on LOW.
    + Hayward 30" sand filter (easy to clean; very long intervals between cleaning)
    + Polaris booster pump pool cleaner.
    + Intermatic time clock for Polaris
    + Hayward / Goldline SWCG
    + white / light plaster or DiamondBrite type finish

Hayward, because (a) they honor their warranty on direct to end-user sales (Pentair does not) and (b) on the items listed, Hayward has the best, or nearly as good as the best, product. The older model Polaris 280 is very reliable and functional, and parts are available widely, plus lots of pool guys know how to work on one. You'll need a cleaner on an unscreened pool in Miami. Plaster should be light, since pools in Miami tend to overheat; dark colors can add 5 - 8 degrees!

BUT . . . you need to commit yourself to 5 minutes per day, plus 30 minutes more each week. If you can't do that, bail out now!

The pool above, in conjunction with our methods, will allow you to walk-away for 7 days for vacation, business, etc, but you cannot do this routinely. One frequent poster here has likened pool care to goldfish care: it doesn't take long, but if you simply ignore things, you end up with a stinking mess!

Do NOT get a pool unless you are really committed to the 5 min/30min plan OR unless you intend to hire a pool service. There is NO pool design that can be routinely ignored for 2 weeks!

Once you've firmed things up, I can work with you on exact item numbers, etc.

Thanks for such a detailed response Ben! Boy, I feel like that subscription I paid was a steal! lol --- I will make sure to chip in more

Some quick comments / questions:

1- Most builders I spoke to were pushing a 1.5HP Variable Pump for what they said was "optimal performance and LOW power consumption". It's interesting that you are recommending 3/4HP Pump. I am happy with your suggestion, its less money...as long as it works well for my size pool. I read somewhere that 2" pipes would be best. But, wouldn't variable be better though? Or do you still recommend a 2 Speed Pumps at low 24/7? Again, excuse the dumb newbie rebuttal questions here...

2- Can you briefly describe the function of the booster pump pool cleaner?

3- I am going to instal four deckjets and two blowers (don't have a spa but have a section that I want some bubbles on for kids fun). Do you recommend I get different pumps to control jets and blowers?

Thanks

I've been looking for a 3/4 Dual Speed from Hayward so I can adjust my price costs, but all I find at 1 and 1.5Hp Hayward for dual speed.

May have to settle for 1HP. It won't make a lot of difference, so long as you run on low.

VS pumps depend heavily on surge-sensitive and EXPENSIVE electronics. They do well in places like California, but not so well in places with lots of lightning related voltage surges, like Miami. And even in California, a VS pump won't usually last as long as a 2 speed.

A Polaris cleaner both vacuums up debris (leaf bits, dead bugs, flower petals) AND it sweeps the pool, disrupting developing or emerging algae biofilms. In Miami, with no screens, you DEFINITELY want one, if you don't want to spend 20 minutes a week vacuuming.

Bubbles, for kids? Are you sure? From what I've seen blower bubbles hold kids interest for about 5 minutes. Then it's all 'been there, seen that'!

BUT . . . blower bubbles are not pump flow dependent. Jets are. If you want spa like jets, that will require a MAJOR increase in pump size, piping complexity, and cost. All very do-able, but you are moving away from your low cost very simple system.

Again, spas (and spa like functions) are -- from what I've seen over the years -- interesting to kids only for a brief initial period. I've only seen continued interest in spas in adults . . . and teenagers 'on the make'.

I've seen motel spas jam-packed with with young teens at regional swim meets, but that's a bit different: 1 part "It's NEW to me", 1 part "I'm really sore from swimming that 400 IM", and 1 part "Can I squeeze in next to Suzy -- she's not going to be fast much longer if those things keep growing, but I sure do like how they look!".

I may not have described well about the jets thing. No, I don't mean those jets. I mean the ones you put on the deck...like mini water features. All they do is throw a small splash of water up into the air and into the pool for the kids to play in.

As as the blower goes, I have a little 7' seating bench on the deep end of the pool. One of the contractors thought it would be cool to have a couple of blowers there kinda for back massage, etc. I am not sure if I will do it or not but was curious how odd of a thing this in on an actual pool - not a spa.

I will definitely get the pool cleaner - I just didn't know what the booster was for - but now I know.

Regarding the VS pump...I never thought it would be such a nuisance. I was mostly inclined in that director for the electricity savings.

Builders almost always think it's "cool" when the property owner spends more money. Just keep in mind that many builders don't even like pools, or have one themselves!

There are situations where a VS pump is a good choice -- but a small simple IG pool in Miami is not one of those. And the additional savings from a VS pump, compared to a well-chosen 2 speed is far too small to justify the $500 price difference, much less the $200 for a surge protector and the reduced service life!

+ Reply to Thread