+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New Pool Construction by Owner - Equipment help!

Default Re: New Pool Construction by Owner - Equipment help!

Got it. I'm sold on the 2 speed then. With respect to pricing, my research led me to some $700 2 speed pumps. Am I looking correctly? When you have a chance, doesn't have to be now, please see if you can share actual models of the pump you recommend.
    Newbie building a 12.5 X 25 pool by owner.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Here's an equipment list for you. Please note that the Pentair item will not have much of a warranty, if you buy it. Also, I'd STRONGLY recommend that you not buy and store ANYTHING. If you buy directly from Amazon, you have a 30-day return window (sometimes, 60 days), which is EASY. After that, you have to deal with manufacturer warranty policies, which is usually HARD. For the same reason, on bigger items always try to buy directly from Amazon, rather than 3rd party sellers, even if they are a bit cheaper.

Take a look, and tell me what you think.

Pump, SWCG, controller:
    Hayward SP2607X102S Super 1-Horsepower Max Rated Dual Speed Pool Pump
    Hayward AQR15 Goldline AquaRite Electronic Salt Pool Chlorinator Control Box w/ 40000-Gallon Cell
    Intermatic PE653RC Wireless Control System for Variable Speed and Two-Speed Pumps
    Pool Vacuum:
    Polaris Vac-Sweep 280 Pressure Side Pool Cleaner
    Zodiac K14 Sand and Silt Bag Replacement
    Filter system:
    Hayward S310S Pro-Series 30-Inch Side-Mount Pool Sand Filter
    Hayward SP0710X62 Pro-Series Vari-Flo Replacement 1-1/2-Inch Control Valve Assembly with Gauge

--OR--

Hayward S244S Pro-Series 24-Inch Side-Mount 1-1/2-Inch Vari-Flo Valve Pool Filter
    Possible features:
    Pentair 640122 IntelliBrite 5g Color Spa Light, 100-Feet, 120-Volt
    Zodiac 1203003 Sheer Descent Waterfall with 6-Inch White Extended Lip
    Zodiac Sheer Descent manual

I just wrote a long reply but it didn't post...let me do this again:

Questions:

1) I read that Hayward pump needs 1.5" intake and outlet pipe. Is that good? I was planning in running all plumbing 2". Should I just use a reducer? I was under the impression 2" was the way to go.

2) sand filter size? Price diff between 30 and 24 is small. Should I just go for the biggest?

3) color changing led pool light...yay or nay?

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Piping hydraulics and their interaction with the pump are somewhat complex. In general, you won't hurt yourself with 2" pipe . . . but ironically, if you keep your system simple enough, some special design elements may be needed. Contrary to what most people think, pumps overload on high flow, not high pressure.

Look through the equipment list above and the associated costs. They include a link to a Pentair LED light . . . but I'm not ready to recommend those. LED lights *should* last a long time, but Amazon reviews, and reports here, suggest that far too frequently, they fail after a short time. I need to find out why. It may be voltage surges.

Look at the 'Sheer Descent' too. That's an attractive feature option for a small pool, but it MUST be on a timer: running a waterfall more than a few hours per day will screw up your chemistry, because of the constant aeration. The Intermatic timer listed will allow you to run the pump HIGH/LOW/OFF, co-ordinate with the Polaris ON/OFF, and operate a small water feature, like the Sheer Descent (ON, when the pump is on HIGH). However the wiring is too complex for most non-industrial electricians, and must be drawn out in advance for them. Also, use of a complex timer (with electronics) MANDATES installation of high-grade surge protection.

The starting place for you is to assess the pool layout, and what features are important to you . . . and how much budget room is left over, once you have the complete shell and inground plumbing. Once you've done that, you can look at final equipment and feature selection.

Let me remind you again: Pentair equipment is NOT an option if (a) you buy the equipment yourself and (b) the warranty matters.

Thanks Ben. Just sent you a PM via gmail.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Quote Originally Posted by Watermom View Post
    A bigger filter is always better.
    +1!
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

Another cleaner you might consider is ThePoolCleaner. Now owned by Hayward. It doesn't require a booster so it is more energy efficient. Based upon reviews, it cleans just as well if not better than the Polaris. I have the suction side version and it has been a great performer.

www.thepoolcleaner.com

Also, the MaxFlo XL is another good Hayward pump and the 1 HP uses about 20% less energy than the 1 HP SuperPump.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

@ Mark: I'm not seeing the good reviews here, on the pressure side models. Did you see them elsewhere?
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KSMVL6W/
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004KSRJZC/

@ Lsanc: I couldn't find 2 speed models of the MaxFlo on Amazon, though I did see them on other sites. I'm pretty sure that Mark is not claiming that a single speed MaxFlo would out-perform a 2 speed SuperPump.

Amazon does ship a fairly inexpensive VS Maxflo. It would be a good option, if you coupled it with the Intermatic PS3000 Pool Surge Protector.

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

There are not many reviews on Amazon and typically only those that dislike something will post a review so I wouldn't go by that. Also, only one of the reviews (a good one) was verified. Plus if you look at the SuperPump reviews, both are bad and we know that to be a good pump.

The reviews I am talking about are directly from owners on TFP. It is a very popular cleaner and I don't think there has ever been a negative review. The designer of the cleaner originally came from Hayward, created his own company and then Hayward bought it.

Here are just a few reviews:

https://www.google.com/search?sitese...i:1&gws_rd=ssl

Some on this forum too although most are from me:

https://www.google.com/search?sitese...i:1&gws_rd=ssl

The MaxFlo I was talking about is the SP2307X102 which is a two speed.
    Last edited by mas985; 08-07-2014 at 05:59 PM.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

+ Reply to Thread