+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sand everywhere...pump dead:(

Default Sand everywhere...pump dead:(

Came home from a weekend away to a pool that was drained below the intake, sand all around the filter on the ground and a dead pump...uggg!

We have a 22,000 gal in-ground vinyl pool. Old/dead equipment is Hayward
    Pump SP2610X15
    Sand filter SP0714T

What should I do? do I need new everything?
    If so what should I get?
    1 vs 2 speed pump?

Thx!
    In ground, outdoor, vinyl liner, 22,000 gallons w/Aqua Genie skimmer installed in 2008, 1 HP Hayward 2-speed Super Pump and Hayward pro series high rate S244T both installed 2016

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Sand everywhere...pump dead:(

#1: Save your liner!

Refill the pool to a normal level, and chlorinate with bleach till you kill any accumulated algae. A 6 gallon dose of plain 8% store bleach would be a good starting point. In an unfiltered pool, algae will usually settle within a couple of days of being killed.

#2. Both the pump and the filter may be salvageable. Or not.

=> Does the motor still run?
    => Are the pipes / fitting that enter & leave the the pump warped or loose? (Often they will be, because a stalled pump will boil the water remaining.)

=> Where did the sand leak out? The 2 most likely possibilities are a case crack (not fixable) or a filter drain fitting failure (may be fixable).

HOWEVER . . . if you'd prefer to get new equipment, this would be a good choice:
    Hayward SP2607X102S Super 1-Horsepower Max Rated Dual Speed Pool Pump
    Hayward S244S Pro-Series 24-Inch Side-Mount 1-1/2-Inch Vari-Flo Valve Pool Filter
    I wouldn't pay too much attention to the negative reviews of the pump; it's relatively noisy on high, but very quiet on low. You should run it on low ALL the time, except when vacuuming, backwashing, or trying to clean up a problem.

Please note that I linked to a 1HP pump; your old pump is a 1.5HP. You can get a 2 speed 1.5HP if you really need that, but if you have a PLAIN pool - no fountain, no cleaners, no heater, the 1HP is plenty big enough, and bigger just wastes electricity. If you're not sure, complete this form:
    http://pool9.net/pf-equip-form/ and let me have a look.

I don't know what sort of filter you have; the filter number is actually the number of a multiport valve that is attached to your filter.

Finally, if you don't like Hayward, Jandy is an option, but I'm not as familiar with their equipment. Pentair equipment is fine, but they have eviscerated their warranty for direct to pool owner sales, so do NOT get Pentair, unless you having a pool guy buy it for you via standard wholesale distribution.

Hope this helps.

Default Re: Sand everywhere...pump dead:(

Thankfully my pool is not green and we got a major storm that filled it up last night. I did dose it w/bleach and stirred it around while I fished out storm debris.

The 1.5 hp came with the kit so that is why we had it. I just trusted them to give us the right stuff:/ I hope the pics help give you the right info. Saving $ on electric and the pump would be fabulous! let me know if you still think it would work.

Idk if this is relevant but the skimmer/feeder is an AquaGenie. I know this is not standard so it may play a part in the functioning of the pool. http://www.hydrapools.com/products/aqua-genie

The filter is a top mount SS24T so i would have to stick to a top mount because of the way the equipment shed is set up (see pic) you can also see some of the sand the leaked out in that pic too

Thank you sooo much for your time and knowledge!
    Paige
    Attached Images
    Last edited by paigemetoo; 07-28-2014 at 08:36 PM.
    In ground, outdoor, vinyl liner, 22,000 gallons w/Aqua Genie skimmer installed in 2008, 1 HP Hayward 2-speed Super Pump and Hayward pro series high rate S244T both installed 2016

+ Reply to Thread