+ Reply to Thread

Thread: When does SWG start maintaining proper levels

QiingGuy is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst QiingGuy 0

Default When does SWG start maintaining proper levels

I have a 16'x48" Intex with an Intex SWG. My CYA is now sitting at 70, however, my SWG cannot keep it at proper levels on it's own. Does anyone maintain their chlorine level using their SWG alone (similar setup to mine) or are you adding bleach/chlorine as well? I run my SWG at night per my manual, 2 hours. Pump runs 30 minutes prior and 90 minutes after it shuts down.

Also, what is this white build-up on my SWG? I cleaned it several weeks ago using vinegar and now it appears to be worse than prior to cleaning. See picture.

Default Re: When does SWG start maintaining proper levels

I have an inground pool with an Aquarite SWG, but I believe they are probably all similar. Sounds like you are not running your pump nearly enough. I run my pump for 9 hours a day, and have my SWG set to 40%. Every pool will be different however.

As far as the flakes, that would be a bi-product, I believe calcium chloride. You may need to clean it with some muriatic acid and there should be directions in your manual.
    Inground 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWG

Thanks, I'm running per manual, however, after further research my target CYA is much higher (80 vs. 30) than the manual lists and thus my chlorine level needs to be higher which would require SWG to run longer. I'll bump it up a bit.

If you don't mind me asking how do you like your Aquarite SWG? I'm building an in-ground in the fall and I'm leaning towards SWG but not sold completely.
    Intex Ultra 16' x 48 5,061 gallons, Intex SWG, Intex 1,500 gph pump K2006, Unicel, city water

Cleaned my SWG plates yesterday to new condition. Ran for 4 hours and tested. No noticeable increase in chlorine. It's making bubbles and indicators say it's working with no errors but doesn't seem like it's making any chlorine. Any suggestions?
    Intex Ultra 16' x 48 5,061 gallons, Intex SWG, Intex 1,500 gph pump K2006, Unicel, city water

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Are you sure you have enough salt dissolved in the water to get it to 3000ppm?
    Carl

Yea, tested and I'm at 3300

Are your sure the pool is free of algae? You might try a traditional chlorine shock and then kick the swg back on to maintain. Also, as others have mentioned you might need more runtime than you are currently getting.

SWG is good for keeping an algae free pool clean, but once there's any algae growing you need to clean up the problem with bleach like normal.
    rectangle 11.5K gal IG concrete pool;; 125sf cartridge filter; 2hp 1 speed pump; K-2006, k-1766; PF:10

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Have you established that the pool water is definitely flowing across the salt cell? Is the SWCG's panel able to give you feedback on the salt level and water temp?

Just trying the shotgun approach!
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread