+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First DE Backwash begins with higher pressure -Help please

Default First DE Backwash begins with higher pressure -Help please

After having a pool service first month of our new pool, I am now doing pool myself. Pool service backwashed every week, so I thought I should also. Realize now that's not needed. My pool is IG, PeebleTec, 12,000, with 2.5 hp pump. (Need it for water features.) It is well balanced (ben's kit) and spotless.

I backwashed my Hayward DE6020 last night. (first time for me)

Turned off pump, turn value to backwash, backwashed until eyeglass was clear. Turned off pump, set back on filter ran filter 15 seconds, repeated backwash again.

Then added DE through skimmer. (Maybe dump it to quickly)

My pressure now is a little higher than it was prior to backwashing. Not real high, just higher. (It is now about 16, was 13) It does go lower when I turn on one or both water features.

From what I read on the forum it sounds like the pressure will be higher if you do not add enough DE to filter, but I've also read NOT to add all that is called for since even backwashing does leave a fair amount of DE in the filter.

On the same note, can adding to much DE be a problem. (I did not see any DE coming through the returns.

Also, some folks say add it slowing to the skimmer, but I've also read to dump in the skimmer as fast as it can take it. Other recommend adding DE to a 5 gallon bucket of water and adding to skimmer.

So... any ideas why pressure is higher now and or any other comments. I have plenty of DE so I can backwash again today and start over.

Sorry if this seems like a silly question, but I am still in my learning phase with the new pool.

Thanks,

W. Bell
    Oviedo, FL

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Default Re: First DE Backwash begins with higher pressure -Help please

Bell, a couple of things. First you need to insert a "RINSE" cycle between backwash and filter, it cleans out the tank - without it, the debris that you've liberated from the grids but haven't gotten out through the backwash port will imbed itself on the, now uncoated, grids. The Rinse cycle should be 20-30 sec. Also, try backwash/rinse/backwash/rinse/backwash/rinse before inserting the filter cycle, you'll get most of the stuff out before the filter cycle but running the filter cycle will open a few new channels in the remaining de and allow you to get a little more out with another backwash/rinse. After doing this add 6 lbs of de to your 6020 via the skimmer (the label says 7.5, but that's only if you have a completely clean filter).
    Too much de, 'overcharged' can obstruct the filter and cause a pressure rise, simmilarly, too little de, 'undercharged', can also cause a pressure rise as the grids weren't sufficiently coated and whatever was being filtered out imbedded itself on the grids (de backwashes off the grids fairly easily, algae, dirt etc tends to stick to them even when backwashing)
    The best thing you can do to correct any previous over or under charging is to take the filter appart and clean the grids with a garden hose (it's easier with good pressure, but don't use a pressure washer) - you will get wet doing this, there are a couple of spots inside the grids that are very hard to direct the spray at. The wrench size for the bolts is 9/16, though you probably have the hand knob that came with the filter.
    If you need any help with the taking it appart or putting it back together - just ask, I do it hundreds of times a year.
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

great.

This is very helpful.

What psi should I look for when it's clean and at what psi should I backwash.

Thanks.

Also, I have the Hayward Selecta Flow Value.

Settings are:

Filter
    Waste
    Backwash
    Spa & Pool Boost

Is the Waste or the Boost setting the rinse you are referring to?

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Smile Re: First DE Backwash begins with higher pressure -Help please

Quote Originally Posted by bell7272
    great.

This is very helpful.

What psi should I look for when it's clean and at what psi should I backwash.

Thanks.
    Depending on plumbing and pump size the pressure can be anywhere from ~8 - 20+ psi when clean. The way to determine when to backwash is to make note of the starting pressure when you know the unit to be clean and freshly de coated, when you see an 8 psi increase, it's time to backwash (I was going to ask why you'd backwashed @ 13 psi, but forgot to), in the past, I have used a grease pencil to mark the pressure gauge to show the 'backwash psi'. As a note, don't be alarmed if the filter's starting pressure rises 1 -2 psi from year to year, it's just a sign that the grids themselves are getting a little clogged and need a little chemical soaking. Glad to have been able to help!
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

My one year old DE6020 has a pointer embedded in the gage that has two arrows a green one for starting pressure and a red one for time to backwash pressure. They are tied together at an 8 psi difference. I don't need to backwash the filter but once or twice a year.

+ Reply to Thread